Irena Sendler

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Irena Sendler

I hope you won't think badly of me but I got an email today regarding the above woman and her wondrous achievements. As it was one one those "keep it going don't let everyone down" I was immediately hostile as I hate them. But what concerned me was if this was true ! How had I missed it. Has anyone else any true history? I did a wikipedia search but I am aware that this is dependant on people posting the info.
I briefly did the maths it claims that she saved 2,500 children by smuggling them out in a bag. Assuming she worked every day that is a few years without a day off.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Irena Sendler

Only just seen this.

Irena Sendler was, indeed, a remarkable woman, and did (almost) what that email claims. She deserves every bit of praise it would be possible to heap on her. Unfortunately, the email got most of its facts wrong (including her nationality - she was a Pole, not a German). The email was designed to get everyone mad at Al Gore (not a difficult thing to achieve even without the email) for "stealing" her Nobel Peace Prize. However, Irena wouldn't have qualified, for a host of reasons (including, for instance, being dead and for not doing what she did in the previous two years), for a Peace Prize, so that part of the email is pure hogwash.

It was simply an amateurish attempt to stir up political outrage.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)