Rhubarb going to seed

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Rhubarb going to seed

Help needed no matter how quickly I am pulling off the seed heads every other day more are coming.....is there anything I can do.....it quite a substantial mature plant .......

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rhubarb going to seed

Just keep pulling them off. If they're REALLY insistent, then the plant is probably under stress, so it may be time to think about Playtexing it - lift and separate (well, divide as far as rhubarb's concerned).

But do remember that the whole point of a plant is to go to seed. It isn't abnormal. Just bloody awkward sometimes :iconbiggrin:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks Mike its on a plot I took over last year so don't know how old it is , I'll separate it at the end of the year.....however most of the other allotments seem to have the same problem......

wulf
A selfsufficientish Regular

It is possible they all came from the same source at the same time (if a previous plot holder divided up rhubarb and shared the roots around). They will certainly have been in fairly similar conditions.

Have you got the plant well fertilised and well watered?

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Lawrence
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

At least you can get it to grow!
Every time I try, it either just dies or something eats it.
If I had one going to seed, I am pretty sure I would view it as an opportunity to grow a new generation from seed.
I am sure that I read somewhere that each generation of plant adapts further to its environment and therefore performs better.

boboff

I agree Lawrence. I planted about 80 from seed a couple of years ago, and this year 1/4 are going to seed, I still have lots of Rhubarb, and now lots of seed coming. Free Seed, whats wrong with that? you just have to have more plants! ( I am lucky in having the room)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/