best oil for moisturising?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

best oil for moisturising?

hello, long time no post!

Just got back from help-xing in portugal and my skin is a bit wrinkly from a combination of sun, salty sweat, dust, wind, freezing mornings, and very little washing.

What's the best oil to use for my face, and other bits actually, so something not massively expensive?

Jojoba or olive or almond or something?? I'd like to mix in some EOs (any advice on combinations would be much appreciated). There is coconut oil in the H&B penny sale, is this any good? I don't think I'd be able to mix owt into it though cause it's solid isn't it? Unless I melted it. Regardless, any advice very welcome!

My skin is pretty thick (unusual for a redhead, apparently) and dryish/normalish/sensitive.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: best oil for moisturising?

coconut oil ig good if you got dry skin if adding EO'S do not add above 40 c or you will lose benifit from them
Darn that Wabbit

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

We made a very good moisturising balm using 2 parts coconut oil to 1 part pale beeswax and 1 part baby oil. The baby oil makes it a bit more "gloopy" and easier to absorb.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Before you buy from H+B have a look at Amazon - I've just bought 3kg of coconut oil for about £45. Which, strangely, works out roughly the same price as the 1p sale :lol:

As for moisturiser, RREs blend is good - apart from the baby oil bit. I'd never use mineral oil on me (or anyone's baby)! But is you want that slip, coconut oil is the way to go.

Here's a blend I'd recommend - you can EOs of choice (not citrus) up to about 30 drops/batch. Palmarosa is an excellent, all round skin EO, as are Frankincense, patchouli (if you don't mind the smell) and geranium.

50ml virgin coconut oil
50ml shea butter
50ml cocoa butter
5ml avocado oil
5ml sea buckthorn oil
You can juggle the ratios as you like - if you can't find/afford the avocado or SB oils substitute with a really good olive oil or even better carrotseed oil (it's a lot cheaper). Or just miss them out entirely.

You can also get most of these things off Fleabay, in small quantities.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

The Riff-Raff Element

Green Aura wrote:
As for moisturiser, RREs blend is good - apart from the baby oil bit. I'd never use mineral oil on me (or anyone's baby)! But is you want that slip, coconut oil is the way to go.
I confess that the mineral oil makes me a little uncomfortable too, not for health reasons, but because it's not from a sustainable resource. That said, I can't think of a more fluid plant oil which is such a good carrier, pretty much odourless, and not likely to go rancid. Could something like safflower or cotton seed oil work, I wonder?

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sorry if this sounds a bit daft, but how do I go about mixing them all? Would it turn solid/separate?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just warm them gently over a pan of hot water. Don't boil them! Mix thoroughly then add the EOs when it has cooled a little. Put in a jar/jars. The more shea butter and cocoa butter you add the harder it'll get so start with a small amount - you can always re-melt and add more if you want. But even if it is hard all these items melt at skin temperature so it will still do it's thing after you've handled it for a very short time.
It won't keep very long - adding the contents of a Vit E capsule will increase it a bit and/or keeping it in the fridge.

Jon, you can buy fractionated coconut oil, which is liquid at room temperature and has been de-odorised a bit :iconbiggrin: . I don't use it, I find virgin coconut oil smells fab and is a good smell for both men and women. It doesn't absorb immediately (which is what makes it so good for massage) but when it is absorbed it leaves your skin feeling fantastic.
Maggie

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ok, thanks! How long will it keep before going rancid do you reckon?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Several months, as long as it isn't too warm.
Maggie

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Ahh that's plenty long enough, thanks again very helpful.

I've sourced all the ingredients you suggested from one reputable seller, except from sea buckthorn. They have sweet almond oil, or rosehip oil (which they say is good for reducing appearance of scarring?) within my price range. What do you reckon? x

green_pea
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Oh also, while I'm at it... would palmarosa, frankincense, and geranium smell ok together?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lovely :thumbright:
Maggie

The Riff-Raff Element

Green Aura wrote:
Jon, you can buy fractionated coconut oil, which is liquid at room temperature and has been de-odorised a bit :iconbiggrin: . I don't use it, I find virgin coconut oil smells fab and is a good smell for both men and women. It doesn't absorb immediately (which is what makes it so good for massage) but when it is absorbed it leaves your skin feeling fantastic.
I shall look into this. I imagine a straight replacement of the mineral oil with a liquid fraction coconut oil would work :?

wolfhazel
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 25
longitude: 55

I buy coconut oil from amazon, the cold pressed one for £4... the link is here... http://www.amazon.co.uk/100g-Organic-Vi ... 05&sr=8-43
I use it on myself and my little girls. It moisturises our skin wonderfully and smells scrumtious in my opinion :D I recomend it, I just let it melt in my hand a little and rub it in. My girls are aged 2 and 4 and they love it too :D
I have started a blog about my own eco journey which includes tips and recommendations which I have tried out myself.
It can be found at http://www.ecojourney.blog.com

wolfhazel
latitude: 25
longitude: 55

Oh, also, I once made my own coconut oil... you can do it from buying a coconut and following some instructions, but from my experience it was a lot of hard work for a small amount of oil and since then, I let the professionals do it for me and just try to buy the most environmentally sound versions as possible.

That's why I chose the cold pressed version as opposed to the refined version...
I have started a blog about my own eco journey which includes tips and recommendations which I have tried out myself.
It can be found at http://www.ecojourney.blog.com