Basil

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.

Basil

Any suggestions on how to stop my basil plants from dying.

I grow them from seed in my kitchen, they grow to a certain height then die. Most perturbing.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Basil

It depends, if they get to a certain height and then look pinched and fall over, it is probably damping off, caused by a fungus. Try improving air movement around the plants and watering from the bottom of the pot by capillary action.

Otherwise, maybe they run out of nutrients, get wet feet, too hot; too cold. need a bit more information on signs, symptoms and environment :wink:
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Basil

Just to pick up on the environment issue that wombat mention. (Hello Nev) If you are growing them in your kitchen I guess on a windowsill, I am wondering if you have heating in your kitchen? Basil needs to stay totally frost free. I am not suggesting that you live in a shack with no heating (although tell us about it if you do) but this time of year (December) in the UK we don't have very warm weather. Perhaps there is draft getting through?
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging