Goats

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Goats

I am interested in keeping goats.

Mainly to milk, but also to have the males as meat.

Do any members have any tips or advice please on,

Housing
Breeds
Fencing
Feeding
Reputable Suppliers of Animals
Costs, forseen and unexpected.
Tips, recommendations for reading matter etc.
Initially I want to keep them on 1.5 acre field with big hedges, flanked by a stream on two sides, very rough pasture at present, lots of docks and brambles.

It's a 6 month plan.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

Re: Goats

Big subject Boboff,Mrs OJ kept them for years and still has a few boarded out.I've never found a fully comprehensive 'How to' book,best advice is to join your local goatkeepers society(be prepared for a few elderly eccentrics,but often they have the most knowledge).If you havent already(and even if you have) get to a few Ag shows over the summer ,Cornwall aint bad,3 counties etc.here you will see some breeds you like, and often meet the local societies.The local societies are ALWAYS the best place for stock,a good animal is well spoken of whoever owns it,and nobody will want to sell you an awkward animal if they know you aren't experienced.
Other advice,well it's such a big subject it'd be easier to do a Q&A,but here's a couple of things:Obviously you're too well read to believe the 'goats'll eat anything' rubbish,but be aware they CAN be remarkably fussy(and often change their minds just for the hell of it) feed costs,if you want some proper milk aren't to be sniffed at.
Controversial here,but personally from experience,I would keep goats on a hard floor concrete or stone,in an outside yard,connected to their overnight quarters,rather than in a field.Get a good sized freestanding manger,cut the field yourself,and bring the food to them.They want collars anyway,so on sunny days you or the kids or whoever can take them out in your field for a walk,and you or they become a goatherd for a lazy hour or two.(we've found doing it this way we cut down on toe-clipping,and most of all footrot.)The goats evolved on largely stony surfaces,and they hate rain,and this way you cut down on your fencing,and they thrive.[ many will disapprove,but we developed this system through experience,and many other goatkeepers do likewise.] Above all go for it....local society first......Best Wishes.

boboff

Thank you Jerry, sound advice.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

oldjerry

I've re-read my post,please don't let it put you off,they are great to keep,and can be brilliant,we miss ours so much.The local goat keepers will inspire(and probably amuse) you.Go for it,bear in mind you'll have a good bit of milk or whey swilling round........(ask later about the pigs!)

boboff

That was where my thoughts were going actually.
I would love to have pigs again.
I need a plan to get some money together to build a new Barn, put in a new gate, and tidy up the fences I think.
I will save up whilst going to county shows as you suggest, nothing in life worth having is easy, well Mrs Boboff, well thats another story!