Does anyone NOT have a television?

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Re: Does anyone NOT have a television?

if Iam watching I need to be doing something else too most of the time otherwise I have a tendancy to snack... so sewing, crochet or knitting ;)
and we "only" have freeview.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Bulworthyproject
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We put our TV in the cupboard under the stairs about 9 years ago. We didn't want to get rid of it in case we heard of something worth watching. Before that we watched TV all the time. After a couple of years of leaving it in the cupboard under the stairs because we didn't see the trailers so we didn't hear of anything good to watch, we got rid of it. Now as we live in a caravan in the woods, we have no cupboard under the stairs to keep it in if we wanted one.
https://www.bulworthyproject.org.uk

Bulworthy Project is an experiment in low-impact living and working

Follow us on Twitter @bulworthy

southeast-isher

I've just got an old Hinari Traveller 10" now. I watched The Apprentice on it the other day which i enjoyed... especially not being part of the rat-race. It's a cathode-ray but a nice small size - my Nan used it when she went caravanning back in the day. When the analogue signal gets turned off i will only be able to watch DVDs on it as won't get a freeview box for it.

This one:

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

JuzaMum wrote: Anyone know how to persuade...one husband to give up the TV - I wish I knew

JuzaMum
Agent Provacateur, two bottles of wine, whipped cream and a willing girlfirend.
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

Durgan

I threw my wife out two years ago and she took the TV. I never got another and it was the best thing I ever did, both. It is amazing what one does to fill the gap. I don't miss it at all. Now I have the desire and opportunity to do anything.

The Roman Civilization may have fallen due to luxury, but modern civilization will probably fall due to TV, compute games, and eating.

British Red
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

...and ex wives?
Com on wanre niht scriðan sceadugenga

battybird

Just caught this thread, and have to admit to being schizophrenic about TV. In UK we have one which OH watches a fair bit especially since he has been ill. In portugal we have no TV, no internet (unless I sit in the neighbours grandsons bedroom and access their wi-fi! A little cosy and as he gets older I am sure he is not going to be keen :oops: ) We have the laptop which is charged by solar or 12v in the car and watch dvds or television series I have downloaded from iplayer just before we leave Uk. Or we play games / cards or I read. I suppose its the different way of life in each country but I dont miss the TV in Portugal but accept it in Uk. OH has my company all the time in Portugal whilst I am often working in Uk, so that makes a difference. If you think Uk TV is bad, try Thai TV...it drove OH to READ A BOOK..when we were visiting sons there! :cheers:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

Povester
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

No telly, three boys (4, 6, 9), quality box sets we watch as a family, Father Ted, The Simpsons etc. My youngest son does a superb Father Jack impression. Get rid of the telly, oh go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on....

battybird

Povester wrote:No telly, three boys (4, 6, 9), quality box sets we watch as a family, Father Ted, The Simpsons etc. My youngest son does a superb Father Jack impression. Get rid of the telly, oh go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on....
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The cockerel makes the noise, the hen produces the goods!! anon

wolfhazel
latitude: 25
longitude: 55

We have a TV which I realised recently was always on even for background noise... now after this moment of revelation, I have reduced TV time to about 1 - 2 hours a day maximum and I refuse to put it on any more than that. I have loved it since doing this, now we sit down and read together (not just a story before bed but grabbing a pile of books and reading through them) and play catch etc instead, I get far more quality time with my kids without the thing on. Definately won't be going back to our old ways!
I have started a blog about my own eco journey which includes tips and recommendations which I have tried out myself.
It can be found at http://www.ecojourney.blog.com

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

I still have a tv.
My youngest (18) left home last week.
Since then haven't watched a lot.....
Considering giving up tv. Will I be able to handle that? I will miss BBC (am in netherlands) which has the only worthwhile programmes......

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

We watch quite a lot of BBC programmes online (iplayer). There's an international version - I think this is the page for it (surprisingly difficult to find if you happen to live in the UK):
http://www.youtube.com/user/BBCiplayerglobal

I think you have to pay but I can't see where it says so on that page.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Berti
Living the good life
Living the good life

thanks for that link, Zech.
I found out there is an apple app and it's free watching otherwise.... hopefully I can manage (no subtitles...).

daz101

I haven't had a TV for 10 years and there's rarely anything on I want to watch. I got tired of dumbed down documentaries and unfunny comedy. However there is an app I have used for a few years. I dual boot my computer meaning it has Microsoft Windows 7 on it as well as a free open source operating system called linux. The link below takes you to a page to install the app which allows you to download iplayer programmes from the site, and keep them permanently, from anywhere. Its very easy to use although it runs from the command line.
http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/installation
The documentation link on the right explains how to search and whereas the BBC do not support this app they haven't objected to it otherwise. I think this will help a few non-UK viewers and yes I have been to Thailand :shock:

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

No T.V., No desire to have one.
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave