Close Contact

Another section by popular demand. If you want to talk about anything else that grows that is not livestock, herbs, fruit or vegetables here it goes.
Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Close Contact

Had to tell this story;

This weekend we were getting the very last of the garden in. It was Saturday afternoon, beautiful sunny day, 74 degrees F. SO we were out in our rather largish vegetable garden, and all of a sudden our GSD tears out of the yard barking his fool head off, ripped down through the orchard, past the pond, and appeared to have something "at bay". DH looked more closely, and said he thought it was a cat, and started yelling at the dog to come back towards the house.

Then the neighbor across the road, who had been mowing (this man lives to mow lawn), jumped off his riding contraption and starts screaming at the dog. He goes running towards the dog (not a good thing to do to a 95 pound GSD), and between neighbor and DH yelling at the dog they finally got him away from the creature.

I was afraid it was the neighbors cat, and so DD and I started down the road to their house to offer our apologies and see if there was anything we could do. As we got closer DD could see neighbor holding said creature, and she squealed, "Mommy, it's a fawn!!". It was unhurt, only very terrified, and squalling at the top of it's lungs. This thing couldn't have been more than 24 hours old.

Apparently neighbors lawnmower had scared the poor baby so badly it had jumped its cover, and GSD saw it, and naturally took chase. It was so scared. I started petting it and talking to it, and the silly thing nearly fell asleep on my hand. A few minutes later we set it down in the tall grass on our side of the road, and it curled up to hide. We kept watch on the area with binoculars from the yard, and later that evening it's mama was out looking for it. She sniffed it over but good, licked it a few times, and then they trotted off into the trees with mamas white tail flagged up. I just love a happy ending! :cheers:
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Close Contact

Love it :iconbiggrin: :cheers: :cheers:

... especially as the alternative was venison pie!!

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Baked in a mini-tart pan!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

becks77
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

A lovely ending thank you for sharing :cheers:
"no-one can make you feel inferior without your permission"