Where do I buy quail

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Where do I buy quail

Where can I buy point of lay quail in Surrey?

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Where do I buy quail

Dunno about Surrey but check out the classifieds in the 'Smallholder'.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I used to buy mine from Bury St Edmunds when they had their farmer's auction. But...the auction place is now under a car park and I don't know where it moved to.

Quail are pains in the backside to keep! They're less intelligent than chickens and even though mine were all POL, only one ever laid an egg.

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

I have kept Quail for some time now and I love them!! They are extremely flightly and very nervous but I do get a lot of eggs.
I know there are some people about who sell them but they are quite hard to track down and buy from. I believe there is one in or around London but sorry I cant help further.
If you get them very young and handle them a lot thy wont be so nervous when you get up close.
I recommend Japanese quail,which is what I have always had.
If I can fins out anything useful for you in Surrey I will let you know
:icon_smile:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had japanese quail at first, then got standard quail. They all shared a single brain cell!

One of the standard quails became very attached to the dog. She headbutted the bars of the aviary and cut her head, so i brought her indoors and cleaned the wound. Whilst leaving it to dry, i let her run in the house. She ran straight to the dog and settled down between his paws! Luckily, he knew that birds were off-limits for eating so he sat very nervously looking at the little bird sleeping between his feet.

After that, whenever he went out in the garden, the quail would come running over and follow him as far as she could in the aviary :roll:

bill1953
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 53.95
longitude: 8.95

Yes they go stright up like helicopters when startled regardless of what's above them. I had Chinese minature quails years ago.
Just because you see two eyes shining in the jungle at night, do not think that the worse thing that could happen is that you are about to be attacked by a tiger. It could be two one-eyed tigers.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

my mum keeps quail i ask her were she got her when she get back from her hoildays
from we are in essex so not to far away
she gets loads of egg off the 4 she has got
Darn that Wabbit

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I have found somewhere! The Merrist Wood part of the college in Guildford has an animal management section and they sometimes sell their poultry, and they do keep quail, although they don't have any at the moment (if anyone else is interested).