wash hair every day?

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
alexllever
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 275.8
longitude: 43.8

wash hair every day?

for me, there's no need to wash hair every day. besides, i heard that it is bad for health.

so, if u dont, how many days is the best for u? :grouphug:
baby baby, come back to me :brave:

Rosendula
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: wash hair every day?

I used to shampoo it every other day and tie it up on the non-wash days because it was a greasy mess. That was back in the days when I went out to work and had to look presentable though. These days, I wash it once a week with a bicarb of soda solution and rinse it with vinegar. Half way through the week, or if I'm going somewhere and need to look cleanish, I dry shampoo it with talc. When I first started on the no-poo thing I used fuller's earth as a dry shampoo, but it left a clayey residue on the tops of my ears (and I think on the back of my neck) that looked really grubby :oops: so I started mixing the fuller's earth with talc, altering the ratio until I was happy with the result. Turns out I prefer no fuller's earth at all :lol:

There you go, I've just admitted I'm a mucky bngger! :bootyshake:
Rosey xx

gregorach

Once a week, hot water only, maybe with a bit of tea tree oil worked through it. It's never been better. :iconbiggrin:
Cheers

Dunc

wolfhazel
latitude: 25
longitude: 55

Wow guys! I admit I actually shampoo and condition my hair daily at the moment... I do try to not shampoo it on days when I'm at home and aren't going anywhere...

I've wanted to reduce the amount of shampoo and conditioner I use as I know it's not good for your hair, but everytime I've tried my hair ends up really greasy... If there's a no grease solution, I would definately consider trying again!
I have started a blog about my own eco journey which includes tips and recommendations which I have tried out myself.
It can be found at http://www.ecojourney.blog.com

gregorach

wolfhazel wrote:I've wanted to reduce the amount of shampoo and conditioner I use as I know it's not good for your hair, but everytime I've tried my hair ends up really greasy... If there's a no grease solution, I would definately consider trying again!
It takes quite a while to get through the greasy stage... I did it while I had a horrible nightshift job that involved keeping my hair up, in a hair net, and under a hard hat. It takes at least 6 weeks to get through the initial nastiness, and probably 6 months or more for it to really settle down. My hair used be really greasy, but it turned out that was just a result of using shampoo... OK, it's maybe not the super-clean, shimmering, computer-enhanced loveliness that the adverts tell you to expect, but it feels good, it seems clean, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't smell.

As far as I know, there's no short cut when it comes to giving up shampoo. You've just got to stick with it.
Cheers

Dunc

Rosendula

I did it when I was going through an emotionally rough time. Everyone was being so careful around me I thought they won't mention my greasy mop. They didn't :mrgreen:
Rosey xx

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think about this all the time, ever since I heard of it. I work on contract on random projects and get periods of time off, but never really get more than a few weeks off. I don't think the boss would understand the transitional period...BUT some day, I'll give it a go.

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

What hair? Just a quick polish every now and then.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I've never washed my hair more than every 2 or 3 days but have found that if you use the commercial SLS type shampoos then you can get into a vicious circle of needing to wash more and more often and then needing loads of conditioner to compensate for stripping the natural oils. Not good. I use a small amount of mild and natural shampoo (currently trialling a home made solid one) which means I don't really need conditioner. I do contemplate going no poo every few months but have a high profile job that doesn't allow the transition period.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

normal twice a week
would love to try not washing it but as a work in kitchen it not a good look when it gose though that greasy look
although did go 3 weeks when i sslite my head open last year and was not allow to wash it for 3 weeks while it healed
but do make me own shampoo
Darn that Wabbit

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

To be honest, going no-poo gave me no problems with greasy hair. I just upped the amount of bicarb to suit. However, my hair is really thin, but lots of it, and gets greasy really quickly, so the bicarb does make it super knotty and dry on the ends. I use coconut oil every so often to keep it soft but I do keep going back to 'poo and conditioner every so often :(

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

One wash with shampoo and a generous slathering of conditioner twice a week for me!

I tried the not washing approach, but after 10 days it was driving me crazy with the itching and i started scratching open wounds on my scalp, so I stopped.

In the winter, I use conditioner only to wash my hair. It works well and protects my hair from the freezing cold and stops the staticky flyaways.

Try looking at longhaircommunity.com - they have endless threads about water only washing, or no-poo methods :)

alexllever

wow, u guys really gave me kinds of solutions.
once a week only hot water??
how can u handle that? i mean for me shampoo is No.1 for hair and conditioner is second.
my hair get greasy easily and smell bad :roll:

alexllever

gregorach wrote:Once a week, hot water only, maybe with a bit of tea tree oil worked through it. It's never been better. :iconbiggrin:
hot water only? no shampoo? not greasy? wow jealous of u man :salute:

gregorach

My hair used to get really greasy, before I stopped using shampoo.
Cheers

Dunc