The Last Diet You Will Ever Need

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Last Diet You Will Ever Need

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GJPZG The Last Diet You Will Ever Need

Quote from the article.
"I hope you will use the power of your fork to be part of the start of a true food revolution.
Now I'd like to hear from you...
Have you changed your eating habits to include more real food?
What have you done to create a healthier diet for your family?
Have you eliminated MSG from your diet?
Please leave your thoughts by adding a comment below.
To your good health,
Mark Hyman, M.D."

oldjerry

Re: The Last Diet You Will Ever Need

A good article,I would just add that if that 'real food' has travelled as short a distance as possible(with luck from your garden\yard\window box etc,) then better still.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

3 weeks ago I decided to ditch the junk food I was eating. Cakes, pastry, puddings etc - I don't eat fast food as it makes me feel horrible. My diet wasn't particually bad, cakes and puddings where homemade, oven chips not fried, homemade pizza and veggie burgers sometimes. So far I have lost 10lbs :icon_smile: . However the down side is 'real' food costs a lot more than junk and hubby and my three sons don't share my love of veg. The trouble is I can get an easy meal for £1 per person from Iceland if I so desire but real food takes effort and more money. Still I am happier eating better.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry Durgan - this is typical MSG hysteria.

When genuine peer-reviewed research indicates that MSG at normal dietary levels is harmful, I'll worry. Until then, I'll treat it like potatoes - very tasty, but don't stuff your gut full of them every day.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Durgan

MKG wrote:Sorry Durgan - this is typical MSG hysteria.
When genuine peer-reviewed research indicates that MSG at normal dietary levels is harmful, I'll worry. Until then, I'll treat it like potatoes - very tasty, but don't stuff your gut full of them every day.
Mike
"this is typical MSG hysteria"
Surely the article is more profound than this one gleaning.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, my feeling is that it's neither more nor less profound than a host of other articles professing belief systems. What on earth is wrong with the plain old truth? When dealing with material things, it's a relatively easy matter to establish truth and there are accepted ways of doing it. Peddling an unproven belief on the back of a purported medical degree is not one of them.

Good examples in this article are the suggestion that MSG is not a naturally-occuring substance (it most certainly is), that giving MSG to rodents induces a feeding frenzy (fairy tale, but even if it was true it would say nothing about human reactions), and the conflation of non-comparable statistics (Now less than 3 percent of our agricultural land is used to grow fruits and vegetables, which should make up 80 percent of our diet).

Just the above, only a small section of the subject matter, is enough to devalue the rest. I spent a great part of my working life running around Europe removing bullcrap from technical publications. I know it when I see it.

Mike

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

become dairy introlant first time i lost wieght and kept if off
but missing cheese
Darn that Wabbit

oldjerry

Mike,I hear what your saying,and I know sod all about MSG (isn't that what they use in Chinese takeaways? in which case I quite like them).But I read that as basically a plea for less processed food and more 'traditional' make your own from basic ingredients.Hard to argue with that,but I may have read it wrong,and I'm wary of these 'Acting Proffessor of total Bollocks from The University of Milwaukee,same as I think you are.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I agree with both. The message (in general if not the specifics) is hard to argue with, the tone is hysterical. That'll be why he's a bestselling author.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

In case anyone misunderstood me, I'm in total agreement with the comments here - looking after your diet is probably the best thing you can do to safeguard your health. And I think Durgan's approach of showing us what he does about it is exemplary. But when it comes to posting advertisements for Functional Medicine, a "discipline" which has already been questioned by the Federal Trade Commission in the USA (well, more than questioned - the individuals involved were found to have made false claims (that's legalese for lying) about the efficacy of their approach and were heavily fined), I see a distinct shade of red.

The primary purpose of this article (apart from advertising) is not to introduce us to the bits of common sense (with which any sane person would agree) included. It is to use that common sense as a vehicle for a series of misleading and untrue statements. I have no reason to believe this is accidental - in fact, it's always been a standard technique for unscrupulous salespeople. There will, I feel, soon be a campaign against MSG emanating from the same source as the article.

For anyone who isn't sure, MSG is a nasty substance - in large doses. Common salt can be described in the same way (which you can exclude in direct form from your diet but which you cannot live without). Vitamin A is deadly in large doses (so never eat the liver of a polar bear). MSG, in the small amounts used in foodstuffs, will do all but the most hyper-sensitive no harm - and the entire Chinese nation will gladly attest to that.

And if anyone wants to check what it says on the tin, MSG is E621. If you want to avoid it, forget the E number and stop eating parmesan cheese - one of the heaviest naturally MSG-laden foods in the universe. But beaten for first place by tomato juice. And human breast-milk.

Mike

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I always knew you were a smarty pants, ( in a good way) but the perspective in your last paragraph says it all. Thank you again for spending as much time as you do giving us all the wealth of your wisdom. The really good thing is that I can generally refer to this forum again and again to check things out .
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

contadina

A slightly less hysterical piece about the dangers of processed "low fat" foods. Comparing the food and drinks industry to the tobacco industry owing to their overuse of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), or glucose-fructose syrup as it's often referred to in the UK, to the detriment of everyone's health, just because it's cheaper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012 ... f-comments

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aren't mushrooms quite high in MSG too?

I read/watched something that said our bodies are programmed to eat more when we have sugar. When fruit is in season, it's time to eat extra so we have fat stores for the winter months, our bodies treat all carbohydrates like that. Might have been on Fat Head, do remember him saying our carb intake should be more like 10g than the 250g recommended by the government.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

trinder wrote:I always knew you were a smarty pants, ( in a good way) but the perspective in your last paragraph says it all. Thank you again for spending as much time as you do giving us all the wealth of your wisdom. The really good thing is that I can generally refer to this forum again and again to check things out .
I've read that a few times now, and I'm still not sure if my ego is being stroked or slapped :lol: :lol:

Mike

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

chickenchargrill wrote:Aren't mushrooms quite high in MSG too?
Certainly are - and I'm NEVER going to remove mushrooms from my diet.

Mushroom risotto with that handful of parmesan thrown in at the end - MSG on a plate, but I'm going to eat it :iconbiggrin:

Mike