no eggs!

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
greenishfingers
Tom Good
Tom Good

no eggs!

Hi,we recently bought 2 POL hens ,they are now approximately 26 weeks. One is reliably laying an egg every day,while the other has twice laid what seems to be a shell-less egg,in the middle of the garden,then ate it. This hasn't happened for abot a month no. She seems happy and healthy in every other way. Anyone have any ideas? many thanks
For us to lose contact with the soil results in real unease and maladjustment...to recapture it affords profound joy and inward comfort. Sam Ogden

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: no eggs!

They can be a bit erratic coming into lay. I'd try upping the calcium content of their food. Get some oystershell grit and possibly feed them cabbage leaves (a bit of a stab in the dark that one but I think that's what my wife does) or put some milk in their feed some how eg, bread soaked in milk.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

matowakan
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: no eggs!

Quite often although hens bought when POL it can often take a while for them to start laying. I have had chooks where I have had to wait 5 - 8 weeks before they start laying. Also it can depend on the breed. The hybrids will often lay earlier that some of the pure or rarer breeds.
I would give it a bit longer to see what happens.
Laying could depend on also on them getting used to a new home and weather etc etc.