Moby carrier

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Moby carrier

Am I right in thinking you shouldn't use a moby wrap to carry your child on your back?

If this is correct is there a wrap I can use? It's as he gets bigger so it's easier for me. Is it perhaps just worth trying out different carriers/wraps to see if they're comfier or I can get more done?

Helsbells
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Moby carrier

Oh my gosh, I just asked practically this same question over at naturalmamas.co.uk

They said no, you can't use your Moby to carry baby on your back because it is too stretchy and therefore dangerous. They said use a woven wrap, a mai tai or a structured carrier.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thank you! I did look at getting a mai-tai.

Had I know this I might have gone for that instead of the moby. I'll have a look around for one at a decent price

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

i carry my son on my back in my moby. iv seen videos on youtube about how to tie it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFLhddgI ... BE89998B3D for example.

i thought you could do these positions with all the wraps.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

It is really quite dangerous for the reasons Helsbells mentioned and from what I've heard they're supposed to be removing it from their instructions.
You can pick up preloved wraps, mei tai's and SSCs from sites such as Natural mamas forum, FB group Slings and things, even gumtree and ebay (be careful on ebay though as there are a lot of fakes and unsafe carriers on there.) You could also check out Slingmeet.co.uk to see if there's a meet near you where you could try out some different carriers, some areas also have a sling library where you can hire before buying. Personally I love my Didymos wraps and DH loves his Beco Butterfly 2, but I've only ever done back carries with the Beco, need to learn with the wrap so I can tie over my bump!!!

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm afraid it doesn't really matter how you tie the Moby, it's stretchy enough that baby reaching for something, leaning back or just having a particularly wriggly day can end up with them falling out.

I use a Mei Tai, I've not tried the woven wrap I have as I don't trust Dexter to stay still long enough for me to tie it safely.

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life

That makes sense, thank you. I was wondering why you couldn't do it as it looks good on the video

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

The video Demi posted is using a Didymous woven wrap. That would be quite secure, but the Moby would give too much around the top of the child that way. There was a video highlighting the dangers of back carrying with Moby but it seems to have been removed.