New member , hello

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

New member , hello

Walking my daughter to school we go across a small field and all around the edge is a thick band of nettles. Now I've eaten nettles in the past but this time thought , hmm , nettle beer but where did I put the recipe? Google it I thought which is just what I did and whilist searching found your forum and found myself thinking that an awful lot of the content I could identify with and several evenings of reading posts made up my mind so to speak and I took the plunge and signed up.
My user name , "Skippy" is actually a nickname I've had for many years and refers to my inability to walk past a skip without having to look in it and my equal inability to leave it unraided.

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: New member , hello

Hi there and welcome :wave:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Hi Skippy, welcome to Ish :wave:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Welcome Skippy!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

happyhippy

Hi Skippy,and good luck with that beer you'll be making!I thought for a moment you were called Skippy because you were an aussie!(I get called it all the time for that reason!lol)So what else are you up to self suff wise?

MuddyWitch
latitude: 52.643985
longitude: -1.052939

Welcome to ISH :flower:

Sounds like you'll fit in perfectly!

MW
If it isn't a Greyhound, it's just a dog!

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

happyhippy wrote:So what else are you up to self suff wise?
I'm not going to claim to be self sufficient by any stretch of the imagination but failing there being a www,selfreliantish site this forum ticks enough boxes.
My Grandfather was a smallholder although that went when he died , something to do with there not being a will , large family and death duties and only being 7 at the time I didn't really understand it but the times I can remember there were good. My father whilist getting a job on the council still had a deep affinaty with gardening and our garden was always dug for vegatables. We relocated a few doors down just to get a bigger garden which Dad dug almost up until his last days although the veg plot had got a bit smaller by his eighties. He tended just to grow basics rather than anything too exotic and felt a bit avant guarde when he set up a spinnach bed.
I've followed in their footsteps and have a decent sized garden with vegatables and fruit trees. We haven't got any yet but have talked about having a few chickens.
My wife is a decent cook and often makes meals out of what we grow , and jams and pickles. Her sister is a bit more fussy and critisises my wife for a lack of presentation and also for using the dreaded out of date foods but we're all in good health with clean plates.
I also re-enact medieavel history which instills a self reliance and I've made clothes , furnature, tents and treen and the whole way of life is so much more back to a simpler form at least until it comes to sunday evening and having to pack it all back into the van.
Not quite self sufficient but I'm also a member of a photographic forum where the members make great use of old lenses for their cameras. As I said not self sufficient but it does fit in with my "if it isn't broke don't try to fix it " view of the world.

Pete