"Grey water"

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

"Grey water"

When we had a water meter installed I of course looked at ways to save on water usage. One of the most obvious was to use rainwater to flush the toilet. However, time being tight and having a million and one other jobs to do I didn't plumb anything in but did install a barrel to catch the water. It still gets used as the toilet is right by the back door and I just use a bucket, I like simple me :icon_smile:
The barrel does have insect larve living in it even though it is lidded and this hasn't really bothered me although it absolutely horrified my sister-in-law, but is it actually a problem and if so should I be concerned and what to do if it is?

Pete

Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: "Grey water"

Hi
The insect larvae could be a problem if they hatch into midges and start biting. I use a small bit of copper wire in the water, or a piece of copper pipe if you have it. I can't remember why it works but it seems to. If you can put a sealed lid on the top, that helps to keep the adults out so that they can't lay their eggs in the water.

Cheers
Zoe

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

A goldfish is nice too--just be careful not to "flush" him!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks for those ideas, I'll probably give the copper wire a try first , no offence to the goldfish method.
Thinking about it I have read about people putting copper strips on roofs to combat moss growth and copper roofs I've worked on are normally quite clean. Right off to bend a bit of wire :icon_smile:

Pete

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

*adds copper wire to hubby's work-based-bin-diving list*

we use the grey water from our dryer for the plants.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Copper is toxic to all aquatic invertebrates in even quite small concentrations, so that's why that works.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..