So I have my treadle!

Have you made something and want to show it off? This is the place for your photos or just talk about the things that you have made or would like to make. All crafts from knitting and crochet to woodwork, in fact anything that you have made!
fluffy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

So I have my treadle!

Well yes I am now the proud owner of an 1895 singer 27 K treadle sewing machine. I think I have died and gone to heaven. My local church charity shop had been keeping an eye out for me and I got a call on Sunday evening to say they had one in with my name on it. :iconbiggrin:

I have threaded it and practised using the treadle bit without the needle going up and down and I think I am going to get the hang of it. Although I haven't posted for a bit I have done a bit of sewing, I made an overall from a pattern size 8 that turned out massive! then my mam measured me and made up a pattern for a straight skirt and that was too tight (round the bum ha ha!). I am probably best off sticking to alterations at the moment.

I am thinking of investing in a tailors dummy that you can move in to your own measurements. I am very small with biggish hips compared to my top half so getting patterns to fit is a problem. Anyway I am off now to play some more with my beautiful new machine.

Love

Fluffy

clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: So I have my treadle!

You'll get the hang of it fluffy,I have had a few disasters in my time but remember always cut a bit bigger then you can always take it in.......
Clare
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I used to have a Singer treadle machine. I hope you have a better time than I did - I could never get the damn thing to keep going forwards, for some reason it always went into reverse after a few inches. I have no idea how I managed that :scratch:

I'd love to have another go though.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

phil55494
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

My mum still has an old Jones treadle machine which I don't think gets much use now but when me and my sisters were growing up was used for all sorts of alterations and garment making. We all were taught the basics of using it though I'm not sure I could remember it now (maybe with some practice).
She has said in the end to leave it to the local museum as none of us are likely to want it and it was made nearby.

MarcherLady
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

There are some excellent tutorials for home-made tailors dummies on the web, if you have plenty of time and a willing assistant, fluffy. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it involves a cheap t-shirt and lots of duct tape, and doesn't look too hard. http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7174469_make- ... equin.html is one example.

fluffy

Thanks marcherlady I will have a look.

Well I've been practising and is seems to come to me quite easily thank goodness. I have surfed the net and identified all the attachments that came with it. I have discovered that half my tucker is missing, but since I don't actually know what one is I suppose I can live without it!

I'm going to have a go at altering my husbands overalls and putting pockets on the front tonight as I don't think it will be too taxing.

Love Fluffy
x