War on home gardens - Canada Town outlaws food

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

War on home gardens - Canada Town outlaws food

War on home gardens - Canada town outlaws food self-sufficiency - Isn't this crazy? - and unfair. It's such a well desgned space too - not an eyesore!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFuCdnT9WsU

News item is a bit Daily Mail
http://www.naturalnews.com/036709_home_ ... iency.html
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

boboff

Re: War on home gardens - Canada Town outlaws food

Oh my!

Why are we living in such a stupid world!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

The trouble with this is that both sides have become totally entrenched but as far as I can see there's no need for a battle.

No-one, as far as I can tell, is telling them they can't grow veg, just not on 30% of the area. Well they're probably already not growing on 30% with all those paths between the beds. If they got rid of those and laid them to grass they might need to get rid of one bed to make it up to the requisite area but they could still keep their veg garden and would be untouchable by the local jobsworthys.

Unfortunately both sides now seem to have decided it's an either/or situation and have dug their heels in. :roll:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

I suspect you are right.
But what about all the garden which are paved, or gravelled or "low maintenance" you would feel agreived if there were several like this who were not being persecuted.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've no doubt there's a lot of "unfairness" in this. It doesn't alter the fact that, had they just complied with the regulations, the authorities wouldn't be able to touch them - they chose to wage war instead and now possibly stand to lose the lot.

There was another case, also in Canada, which really was stupid (IMHO of course). Apparently they have designated "residential" or "industrial" etc zones. A nice guy started a market garden from the 2.5 acre plot of land, which he owned, next to his house. I'm not sure where it's up to, or if it's been resolved, but the powers that be were trying to make him dig up his entire livelihood because it was in the wrong zone.

Now that is a fight worth having.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

Indeed.

I have had a run in with the council, we own some woodland, and in clearing the footpath ran foul of them and the AONB lot, I took a rather beligerent stand to start with, and lost, since then I have tried to be constructive and it has worked, and I can basically do what ever I want, but I have to ask nicely first!

It does grate though having to do it, but it is the only way.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

:wave: Boboff belligerent ! never. Truculent maybe
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

boboff

I prefer Suculent!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hum I thought you'd have bid for opulent or better still omnipotent.

Sorry but I have to add this throw away funny occasion. (I'm sure she will forgive me if she recognises herself here) My friend's little girl was preparing for the school bash that parent's attend. she was practising to me and showing me how the hands and movement had to coincide with the words.. At this point she raised her head (skyward) opened her arms outstretched above with fingers extended (then waving ( think Mammy how I love ya) and she gaily sang out " For the Lord is impotent shout it from the highest to the lowest in the land" she bowed ( to signify lowest) during the words keeping the hands quivering.
I really thought I would burst trying not to laugh.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

boboff

Ah that'll explain the immaculate conception then!