Now this is strange!

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Now this is strange!

Ok so I get up for work this morning,and while I'm in the shower I become aware that my ring finger is throbbing!I got out the shower,and noticed my ring finger is swollen,and also part of my hand.I tried to remove the rings I had on,and after about 10 minutes,managed to remove them by using liquid soap.I had a slight indent of where my rings were and took no more notice.Abit later whilst driving to work,my ring finger and hand start throbbing again and by the time I got to work,my ring finger was unbendable!!!I managed to put up with it while at work,came home this afternoon,and by this stage,had pins and needle sensations going through it.By 4pm my knuckle of said finger looked purple,with some more purple just below my fingernail.Its still swollen!!!I'm thinking maybe something bit me while I was asleep because my finger was already swollen when I got in the shower!What could possibly bite me in this country (UK)that was cause this reaction?i did'nt have any bumps or whatever before bedtime either!I'm baffled,any idea's?

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Re: Now this is strange!

Does your finger have a "focal point" where the bite may have been?

A differential diagnosis could be gout, This can manifest in any joint causing the symptoms you describe.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Carltonian Man

Lots of biting insects causing bigger than usual swellings for us this year.
In recent years I've developed a food allergy and experienced horribly painful reactions, similar to those you describe. After eating oysters my immune system launched into hyper-drive and attacked part of my own body. Each time it's affected an area recently knocked or bruised slightly.
Have you been eating anything different.

boboff

My OH & daughter react like this with Horse fly bites, take Piriton and see if that helps.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

happyhippy

Update:So got up this morning (Sat)and my hand was swollen,and half way up to my elbow was also swollen.I rang NHS direct,and went through a series of questions.They advised me to go to A+E without hesitation!!!!So off we went,luckily its a small community hospital,so only had to wait 10 minutes.The receptionist told me she had been bitten by a horse fly last week and her arm swelled to double the size!!!!So the nurse examined me,and said I had been bitten by something,and that it had become infected.Apparently said infection was now travelling up my arm,and if I had'nt of had it seen to,I could of been in serious trouble!I am now on a week's course of antibiotics!!!!!!Nice one! lol Whats funny is I spent 30 years in Australia wrestling(literally)with redback spiders,scorpians,and red bellied(or is it yellow???)snakes,travelled to India and Sri Lanka and never been bitten by anything lol lol Ah well live and learn!

yvette
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thank goodness you got it treated in time. Hope it soon calms down, sounds so painful.

happyhippy

Thanks Yvette,yes it seems to be calming down now thank goodness.I'm no wuss when it comes to pain,but this incident worried my slightly due to not knowing at first what was causing it!xx

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Ooh dear, that does sound nasty. Thank goodness it's going down.
I was bitten by something in bed a few weeks ago. Fortunately it didn't come up like yours. I never did find out what it was but wondered if it was a spider.

I react as mentioned to horsefly bites and I've noticed a few in the house this year. They're attracted to animal poo so they hang around the hen house.

I do hope it clears up for you quickly.

Zoe

happyhippy

Thanks Thomzo!Did you manage to find the spider?lol I stripped my bed,turned the mattress around,vacuumed it,pulled the bed out,vacuumed the whole bedroom but did'nt find anything!I had gone for a walk the night before across the fields,and definately did'nt feel anything bite me,and research tells me if you get bitten by a horse fly you would feel it!So I'm baffled!Hope your bite has healed?The welts on mine seem to be clearing up nicely now and the swelling has gone down by half,thank goodness!

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi, thanks, my bite is completely healed now although I've had others since. I didn't find the spider but there are plenty of them around here. I reckon the slugs are metamorphosing into them.

Hoping your finger finishing healing quickly.

Zoe

boboff

With horse fly bites I find the worst ones are always on rinkly skin, as you don't feel them bite, your elbows, knuckles, knees, are that little bit more desensitised I think.

I am lucky that I get just a spot and mad itching, as I said the girls in the house get massive patches of swelling and the area get really hot.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/