safe alternitives to harmful beautie products

Please keep your posts about natural health and beauty things! This is another popular demand section. So don't prove us wrong and fill it with posts about natural face masks, herbal medicine and anything else you think belongs here.
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: safe alternitives to harmful beautie products

i just left it in the tub and today i think its dissolved a bit, but its still slighty gritty. its working as deoderant though!
ill find a non-oily cream as you suggested and try again. thanks.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I haven't read back through the last few entries so I'm not sure what you want a non-oily cream for but if you find a recipe you like the look of you can replace some or all the oil with aloe vera gel. I wouldn't recommend all, because it can make your skin feel dry but half and half would make it feel non-greasy, which is probably what you're after.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

To be honest these days it's quite easy to avoid most nasties in your products so long as you don't want to find everything in the supermarket - why on earth would you want to shop there anyway????? Crystal deodorants last for years and don't leave any white marks, natural cold processed soaps are very easy to make and can be adapted with the right oils for face and hair as well as the body - I do keep consider going poo free but have never done it. There are also loads of toothpastes about without SLS - we tend to use one from Holland and Barrett, not the cheapest but much better than the commercial ones and safe to swallow! By using nice moisturing soaps on my skin I need very little in the way of moisturer and have never really found the need to cover myself in paint so don't do makeup.

The Riff-Raff Element

Green Aura wrote:I haven't read back through the last few entries so I'm not sure what you want a non-oily cream for but if you find a recipe you like the look of you can replace some or all the oil with aloe vera gel. I wouldn't recommend all, because it can make your skin feel dry but half and half would make it feel non-greasy, which is probably what you're after.
And, of course, aloe vera gel is mostly water, so you should be able to get the bicarb to dissolve. I'd suggest doing that bit first before you add the gel to the cream.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like toothpaste from The Wise Woman. I can't remember her website (or her name other than Jayne...that's really bad, she's a friend and everything...). She goes to the Medieval Fayres and trades as The Wise Woman.

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Olive oil soap is good and can be used on the hair aswell. It's much produced and used in Middle Eastern countries and Turkey but those health food shops might well sell it in a more "sophisticated" form.

sda
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: safe alternatives to harmful beauty products

Re. the toothpaste issue- diet and technique are by far the most important aspects of dental care. It's no good using the most state of the art toothpaste if you're not taking the time and care in making sure you brush properly and make sure you get into every nook and cranny of your teeth. If you're concerned about what's in toothpastes, you can use the absolute minimal amount if you perform excellent toothbrushing and take care of what you consume. Rinsing as often as is convenient after eating and drinking will also help, and that will be made more convenient if you eat at set times rather than "graze" throughout the day!

demi

The bicarbonate of soad mixed with baby cream deoderant that i made is really irritating my skin. So even though it totally works as far as keeping me smelling like roses, im afraid iv had to ditch it.
Luckily enough, my mum found me some great doederant from lush which is paraben and SLF free! It also contains bicar, but evidently they know how to make it better than i do! Its in a bar, like soap, so its supposed to last for ages.
Here it is: https://www.lush.co.uk/product/35/Aroma ... -Deodorant

She also got me some paraben free shampoo in a bar from lush too. Although iv not used it yet, im debating wither to use it or not as iv not used shampoo on my hair for about 4 months now. Maybe i'll just use it occationally.....

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

What about all the Faith in Nature products, use all their shampoos, conditioners, shower liquid, Kingfisher toothpaste, they make one that is also free from fluoride as well as other rubbish, Green people make sunblock which works very well and is great for kids, have used all these products for many years, used to use pitrok and it was great, when I lived in Berkshire I bought in bulk from the True Food Coop in Reading, really miss that

demi

Why would you not want to use floride toothpaste? The floride protects your teeth by replacing lost minerals, strenthening your teeth, and inhibiting plaque growth, all of which protects your teeth from carriers. Its a very important part of your oral care, along with sufficient calcium intake and good brushing practice.

I'm really paranoid about my teeth. Especially being here as the oral health here is rubbish. Everyone has bad teeth here. All the kids get rotten baby teeth and the parents just say 'oh it doesnt matter they're going to fall out anyway. You dont need to brush kids teeth'
I am horrified at their attitudes here towards teeth. Why would you let your kids teeth all rot and have to be pulled out, risking them getting infected and having scerious problems and being in pain when its completly avoidable through proper oral care! And on top of the potential risks to your health from having bacteria laden rotting teeth in your mouth, it looks bloody awfull too! To me people with bad teeth is a sign of poverty. Like homless people have bad teeth because they have drug problems and arnt taking care of themselves anymore. I dont want my kids to look like that! And could you imagine having to kiss somone with bad teeth! No way! It freaks me out! You can cross contaminate the bad bacteria and end up speading infections!
Everyone thinks im mad here because i brush the kids teeth. My eldest is cumming up for 5 and she lets me brush her teeth without much protest, but when she was younger i had to sit on her pinning her arms down and she'd cry and open her mouth so i could give them a proper brush. I'm having to do that with my so son now too as he's just 1 year old and doesnt understand to open his mouth and let me brush his teeth. But i do it quickly then jup off him and he stops crying right away, i give him the brush after and he does it himself.

People say Scotland had the worst teeth in Europe. These people evidently havent been to places like Greece and the Bulkans!
My huband had 2 rotten baby teeth pulled out and hes got another 2 adult teeth missing and he's only 32! Not to mention all the fillings. Luckily his missing teeth are at the back and not visable or else there would have been no way i would of ever gotten together with him haha! And iv allways said to him ' You better take better care of your teeth becasue if you loose your front ones im leaving' haha! ( joke obviously id never leave him :)
In contrast, Im 27 from Scotland and iv got a grand total of 2 small white fillings. Got my very first one when i was 21, and the other one a few years ago. I only know 1 person in Scotland my age who doesnt have good teeth, and he comes from a very troubled back ground, in and out of childrens homes growing up, doesnt have any close family and now stays in a council flat in Glasgow. His teeth are terrible, but he never had a good upbringing or a mother to brush his teeth for him when he was wee.

But its just not seen as a bad thing here for some reason :scratch:

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

demi wrote:People say Scotland had the worst teeth in Europe. These people evidently havent been to places like Greece and the Bulkans!
Fluoride in toothpaste is a polarising debate, I use fluoride toothpaste but I understand why some people don't want to. I'd rather choose to use fluoride toothpaste or not than have my tapwater fluoridised. I have a very sweet tooth and made it until my mid-30s before getting my first and only filling - I must be doing something right and I believe fluoride in toothpaste is part of that.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I do not use fluoride toothpaste as I would prefer not to use a by product of the phosphate chemical industry, the fluoride action network have some interesting articles. I have not used fluoride toothpaste for 20 years, can't remember when I last had a filling, I am 52, have white teeth and use my silver nano toothbrush which is completely amazing, oh yes, I rarely eat fruit or drink fruit juice either so maybe the lack of acid fruits in my diet helps keep the enamel on my teeth strong.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

I don't particularly have a problem with fluoride toothpaste although I chose not to use it and despite being in my 40s I have no fillings and my dentist only wants to see me once a year as my teeth are good and strong. I am however very anti forced intake of drugs which is the case in areas where they put it in the water. It's a terrible idea and a total waste of money as very little of the potable water in the country here is actually drunk.