What car would Jesus Drive?

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

What car would Jesus Drive?

There is a growing movement in America at the moment who instead of asking themselves what would Jesus do? they are asking what would Jesus drive.

Is this offensive to some of you christians who post on here? Is it a question that we should all be asking? The bigger question really for anyone with some kind of spiritual standpoint is -"Are my actions true to myself and my god(s)."

I have always had a problem with the hypicritical nature of many of the people who follow religious beliefs. - Who I mean is people like Bush who will go to war and still call himself a christian, the same with Blair. But by comsuming oil do we all have blood on our hands as that is what they have gone to war for? Or to go right back the crusaders - fighting for christianity what's that all about.

Yep being very contensious with this post but I hope it will open an intelligent debate and not a slagging match. but perhaps I will open a can of worms talking about religion AND politics on the same post.

Mind you I still get the train, bus and will accept lifts of people even in 4x4's so I am not saying that I am holier than thou - just would like to hear your point of view on the matter.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Boots
A selfsufficientish Regular

Well, I guess like most folks, Jesus would have followed in his parents footsteps and driven a donkey, just like Mary and Joseph did when heading off to change the world.

I have two donkeys...

BUT buggered if I can get halters on the the cheeky blighters :oops: . They are much smarter'n me! And riding them to the shop would probably take a half a day... That's if they actually went where I wanted to go.

I could end up in Perth or something! :geek:

ina

Mmh, these are deep thoughts.
Somehow I don't think Jesus would have had donkeys if he'd lived today - he might have had a little bus to get all his disciples around the country in! Something low on fuel use, of course; but I think he would have been not too outrageously "different" from the masses; that would not have had the desired mass-appeal. If he and his friends had ridden around on donkeys, they would just have been written off as perfectly nuts; whereas, if he had been "environment-friendly" in a way that could easily be copied by others, he would have been a lot more successfull! And I do think that good PR would be one of his priorities now, as it was then (although it wasn't called that).
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Shirley

I think.... that if you drive as small a car as you can get away with driving then you are doing ok.... if you don't need one don't drive one... if you don't need a 4x4 then don't drive one... if you don't need a fast car don't drive one.. etc....

I guess Jesus (or his equivalent in other religions) would drive the smallest car he could get away with and make sure he offered lifts when and where possible too. Oh, and he'd plan as carefully as possible so that he didn't make any journeys that were unnecessary.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

hedgewizard

Lol, what a fatuous concept! Memories of... who? Dave Allen? Musing on the second coming. Lazy pontiff slumped in chair, wine in hand. Someone whispers to him and he sits bolt upright, spilling fag ash onto the floor. "What? Jesus? Really? Jesus!" Jumps up, stubbing cigarette out with toe. "Look busy! Clear out the gift shop! Sell the popemobile and buy a Renault 5!"

Shirley

ROFLMAO - Dave Allen was BRILL!!!!
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Muddypause
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Jesus who?
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Chickpea

I'm a Christian, but I know what you mean about hypocrisy. the trouble is the money-grabbing TV evangelists and the like are very visible, but the person quietly getting on with living as good a life as possible is by definition much less visible.

For me my religious beliefs are the basis of my "green" beliefs, and in both cases I try turn my beliefs into actions. I think "What car would Jesus drive" is the wrong question, because it's too specific. You might decide that he wouldn't drive a car at all but would get lifts from his disciples, but obviously if we all did that nobody would own a car for anyone to cadge a lift with. The question should be "What car should I as a Christian drive?" or else "What car (or other form of transport) fits best with my beliefs and principles?" The same thing holds for the question "What would Jesus Do?" (Or WWJD? which they put on bumber stickers in the US). The correct question for a Christian is "What would Jesus want me to do?"

hedgewizard

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Didn't get the pic, hedgie!

I'm with Chickpea! I couldn't have put it better myself! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

wulf

Over the last ten or so years there has been a lot of thinking (and a huge amount of merchandising) around the phrase "What Would Jesus Do? (WWJD)". Wrist bands, Bible cases, coffee mugs, car stickers... the list is endless.

I'm not convinced that Jesus is overkeen on all this excuse to sell more tat (the gospel records show that he was not a fan of exploiting the commercial opportunities offered by religion - eg. John 2: 13-17). However, it has helped some people in thinking about things from a less selfish perspective.

If in the US, home of the "Bible belt", tons of "Jesus junk" and garage to far too many gas guzzling vehicles, some people are starting to think about environmental responsibility, that's a good thing. Yes, the question is ludicrous (FWIW, my hunch is that Jesus would have spent a good amount of time in foot, interacting with people where they live, rather than trapped in a metal box being ferried from meeting to meeting) but, if it can take a slogan of the religious and encourage a few people to make better transport choices then good on it!

Wulf

Shirley

Very good points from both Chickpea and Wulf there - perhaps we should all take something from that and get out and walk whenever possible and interact with people we meet :mrgreen:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

spot
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

what car would Jesus drive?

Didn't Jesus not own anything? He went on boats, but he didn't own one, and he and his disciples walked everywhere. Granted there was not much choice in those days, and even the donkey ride into Jerusalem was on a borrowed ass. I reckon he would still be walking. So I agree with Chickpea, Wulf and Shirley.

After all if you do it for long enough you get to meet an awful lot of people!

Spot
Spot the dog

Martin

here we have someone who can walk on water, transmute wine into water, and as a throwaway, resurrect the dead! - who on earth imagines he'd need to drive? :roll:
Personally, in his position, I'd go for something a little more fitting.........heavenly flights of steeds, celestial golden barge........... etc. :wink:
That sums up my problem with nearly all religions! The adherent's insistence that their particular deity has crap taste in music, is tone deaf, and wants to suffer the same blessed painful paens of praise every single week - for all eternity????????
I would have thought a really godlike deity should be a "touch above" that kind of basking in sickly sycophancy - it conjures up a vision of a petulant old queen of a god - a sort of celestial Elton John, basking in the same tired old songs, week in, week out, and all that lovely applause! :roll:
Personally, if I were god, I would consign the idiot who conceived the idea of JC driving to eternal damnation........ -an eternal Dido concert perhaps! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!

Martin

here we have someone who can walk on water, transmute water into wine, and as a throwaway, resurrect the dead! - who on earth imagines he'd need to drive? :roll:
Personally, in his position, I'd go for something a little more fitting.........heavenly flights of steeds, celestial golden barge........... etc. :wink:
That sums up my problem with nearly all religions! The adherent's insistence that their particular deity has crap taste in music, is tone deaf, and wants to suffer the same blessed painful paens of praise every single week - for all eternity????????
I would have thought a really godlike deity should be a "touch above" that kind of basking in sickly sycophancy - it conjures up a vision of a petulant old queen of a god - a sort of celestial Elton John, basking in the same tired old songs, week in, week out, and all that lovely applause! :roll:
Personally, if I were god, I would consign the idiot who conceived the idea of JC driving to eternal damnation........ -an eternal Dido concert perhaps! :wink:
http://solarwind.org.uk - a small company in Sussex sourcing, supplying, and fitting alternative energy products.
Amateurs encouraged - very keen prices and friendly helpful service!