Unintentional Vegetarianism?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Unintentional Vegetarianism?

Hi everyone--hope you had a lovely weekend!

Something odd is happening to me here lately---have any of you ever just stopped eating meat, without meaning to? I don't know if it's the heat or what, but all of a sudden I just can't seem to make myself want a juicy burger or a nice grilled chicken breast!

I have dabbled with food-combining before, and felt much better when I did, but I never just stopped wanting meat. Wierd!
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Unintentional Vegetarianism?

Yes. I stopped eating it for the best part of five years once, for no good reason I can think of other than I didn't much feel like it. Started again in Turkey where the complete absence of any vegetarian options in the late 1980s meant "eat meat or starve."

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:Yes. I stopped eating it for the best part of five years once, for no good reason I can think of other than I didn't much feel like it. Started again in Turkey where the complete absence of any vegetarian options in the late 1980s meant "eat meat or starve."

Thats what happened to me when i came to Macedonia first. I was shocked at the options in the tavernas. Especially seeing as we border with Greece, where the vegeterian options are seeminly endless. The only vegerterian options here are chips or salad, how thrilling!

I got pregnant within a couple on months of getting here at first and the constant smell of BBQ's turned me back onto meat.
Although i still dont eat that much meat, only chicken and pork, and seeing as the fruit and veg are comming into season again i find im cooking meat much less often.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

greenorelse
latitude: 52.52
longitude: -8.9

LOL. We were vegetarian since 1990 - or so I thought. It dawned on me sometime in 2005 we were actually vegan...
There is no question. Cap and Share or TEQs is the answer. Even Cap and Dividend!

dustydave
Tom Good
Tom Good

The meat we get from the supermarket just seems wrong – both morally and in taste. I’ve been shooting less in the last two years, but when I do get something big, we tend to glut on it, and then revert back to lentils and chick peas.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

I tried to eat a hamburger last night---just the burger, nothing else. I thought maybe if I ate it by itself it would work out.

Felt like I had eaten a brick, became nauseated, then really bloated. I think I'm a goner as far as meat goes...
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?

patR
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We have a similar problem, although I actually enjoy the odd bit of meat, as we grow all our own veggies that costs us a pittance, Im often too mean to spend out on meat. When we do its just a little , once slice or one small chop is more than enough if we try to eat more or more often, it really clogs up the system, causing bloating, wind and constipation... yeah I know too much information.
We go weeks at a time without eating meat without even thinking about it...
http://www.crazyfeetfootwear.com
for something just a little bit different

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi again all---been gone for a while.

Looking at the thread about raw food diets reminded me of this---I thought I'd give an update. I have eaten meat perhaps four times since I posted this,...however, it was grass-raised, grass-finished meat from one of my friends herd. Guess what? It didn't give me any problems whatsoever.

And now for the really interesting/exciting part---For years I have had really bad arthritis pain in my hips and ankles, and since I gave up (almost all) meat my pain has diminished so much! I'd say about 85 % less pain on average!!

Food for thought!

grahamhobbs

Mustardseedmama, glad it worked for you. My OH became vegetarian and a few years later got arthritis, hands, knees and toes.

Stickweaver
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Never been healthier since becoming vegetarian...touch wood!