Whole Grain Wheat Flour.

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Whole Grain Wheat Flour.

Most of the commercial whole wheat flour you buy has already gone rancid by the time you use it. After wheat has been ground, natural wheat-germ oil becomes rancid at about the same rate that milk becomes sour. So if the flour hasn't been refrigerated after being milled, the real shelf life is only a few days after it has been ground. But, as few people have access to freshly milled wheat anymore, most people don't know what it can taste like. Some of the artisinal bakers get regular shipments of whole wheat flour right after it has been milled and they use it right away. A few bakers have their own mills.

Solution. Grind your own wheat kernels. http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QKUHY Wonder Mill Electric Grain Mill

Helsbells

Re: Whole Grain Wheat Flour.

I have ground some of my own wheat kernels, but it didn't taste much different from normal flour (although I did mix it with normal flour so that could be why) I just ground them in my blending!

marshlander

I don't agree that it's already rancid Durgan; it would smell oily or moldy! Also surely the whole wheat grain can go rancid if kept in poor conditions?

I like Shipton Mill Organic Flour http://www.shipton-mill.com/flour-direc ... eal-flours

I've found this;- http://wholegrainscouncil.org/recipes/s ... ole-grains which has helpful storage info.

btw Natural wheat-germ oil keeps for months kept cool in an airtight container and is added to home made creams and ointments to improve their keeping qualilities.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

grahamhobbs

I also disagree, flour doesn't go 'rancid' within days, it will last several months. Bakers often keep freshly milled flour back for a couple of months because it is slightly easier to use and performs better, without any affect on taste..

Jandra
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mmmm... I think that Durgan is onto something. As fas as I know ( but I haven't looked into it for this post) so-called whole Wheat has its germ removed to improve shelf life.

Arguably it is no longer 'whole', but nevertheless the product you buy from the shelf most probably has the germ removed.

Due to the high oil content of wheat germ the simple product you get by milling whole grain really doesn't keep very long.

Like I said, I am not entirely sure, but this is what I remember from earlier investigations.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the Durgster is right too Jandra, the wheat germ oil degrades very quickly, the whole grains however are fine, it is only when you mill the flour complete with the wheat germ that the problems arises, just off now to make myself a delicious potato smoothie

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Don't do that.. I almost choked.. :D
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..