Erlichiosis!

Due to popular demand, here is the section to discuss everything to do with our pets. Please remember though to post any queries regarding pet livestock in the livestock section as you are more likely to get the right response there!
Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Erlichiosis!

Well, here's a new one! I knew we had Lyme's disease around here---but did you know that dogs can get both Lymes and Erlichiosis? Today we are $179.00 poorer and struggliing to get antibiotics down our (100 pound) GSD every day for the next three weeks.

We give our dog Frontline every month---what can we do to repel the nasty ticks that caused this? Are there any natural products, herbs, etc,...that will repel ticks off an extremely large, hairy dog?
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Erlichiosis!

P.S. Do any of you have good tips to settle a dog's stomach? Because he keeps vomiting these pills back up. The vet said chicken broth with no food,...then yogurt. I think we're going to have to hospitalize him :pale:
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Try cold cooked rice,thats been cooked in a bit of chicken stock,often has worked for us,best wishes.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

I remembered that ginger is good for soothing stomach problems, so I made some gingered chicken broth, and after much convincing he drank some. He kept that down, so I tried some toast crumbs soaked in it, and he kept that down. So then I baked some rice in the broth, and he has kept a little of that down. So I pray that we are on the mend and he can keep these antibiotics down tomorrow!

Thanks for the advice O.J.--I appreciate your help!!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi so sorry to hear of your worries. I read from your last post that you are on the turn good luck, seems like a worrying time. Once you are ready to start back on a normal routine parasite control you may want to check out http://www.verm-x.com/
I have a laminitic pony and just about anything can upset his stomach ( belly ache leads to colic colic leads to a temerature and cna bring on a laminitic attack).
I also use this manufacturer for my cats and dog but you may need to check out how appropriate they are for tick control. :dontknow:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Update--dog is back to vomiting up eerything---trying to keep him hydrated with rice gruel in small amounts. Guess tomorrow it's off to the vet again.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good Luck! :hugish:

You post has made me tip my dog upside down checking her fur, so thank you for the reminder as well!

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

I don't know why I didn't think of this before---a very dear friend suggested Dramamine! I have used small amounts of this to travel with a nervous dog before and it worked great! Dog has had three 50 Mg doses since yesterday afternoon, and keeping down small amounts of boiled rabbit and rice with broth. Today we'll try the pennicillin again.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Dog is out of the woods and on the mend. His appetite is back (with a vengence!), his entire body is wagging again, and best of all---he's smiling at me! Still have a lot of meds to go, but I am encouraged.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very pleased to hear that, it must have been a very worrying time.
You (I anyway) tend to expect dogs to have constitutions like a battleship and it comes as a shock when that's not the case.
Sick dogs are just as worrying as sick children.
(and just as wonderful when they get better)
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

So glad to hear that!!

Does anyone know of anything I can give to doglet to repel ticks and fleas other than something like frontline?

I've got one tube of frontline, but it has to be saved until she goes to the UK. She's got to be treated 24 hours before we leave here, so I'm keeping hold of it for then. I need to keep the packaging and the batch numbers and stuff for her passport.

However...I can't find anything like it here. I've tried all the vets in the city and she can get the vaccinations she needs (she's been vaccinated every year that I've had her, not taking any chances!!). I found some European worming medication, so she's wormed regularly, but I can't find any kind of anti flea and tick treatment.

I'm pretty sure you can't give a dog a cat collar (can't remember where I read that now).

Luckily, Nucks is white and *touch wood* she's never had fleas or ticks. I do check her regularly. It would be nice to know if there's something I can give her to help her repel them just in case. She's been making friends with some of the dogs that walk at the same time as she does lately, and although she's not caught fleas from them, it is a bit of a worry.

oldjerry

Pleased to hear your dog's getting back to health.....now get some harness,and a cart,and make him earn his keep!!.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh, usually I just saddle him,.....;-)