Asked for an interview

Do you know about an event that you want to talk about? Is there a campaign you have started, are involved in or want to start? Inspired by Marvin Gaye this is your place to tell the world what's going on.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Asked for an interview

I've been asked for an interview on the wireless! BBC Radio Lincolnshire rang about the Festival of Apples and want to interview me on Thursday - live on air! Pleased to get the opportunity to give it a plug but equally terrified.

Spoke to mother and her advice was some people get nervous and make jokes - don't. Then they make it worse by laughing at the joke themselves! Now I'm sure I will of course!

I suppose I should have info to hand in case I'm asked? What do I do if they come up with a question I'm not prepared for? (excuse bad English)

Grateful for advice.
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Asked for an interview

I have been interviewed on the radio quite a number of times, I used to get a regular call to give advice on organic gardening. You can ring the station and ask the researcher on the programme what kind of questions they are going to ask you, this is not an unreasonable question, they are obliged to tell you what the first question is (politicians always need to know this). Be yourself, and don't think too much about how many people are listening, just talk to the interviewer the same as if they were someone you knew well asking a question. You will be fine, you are knowledgable and you'll just sail through it no problem

good luck and best wishes Lyn

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Remember that it's not like a political interview - they're not trying to catch you out, they want a nice bit of chat to fill their show. It's in the presenter's interest to ask you easy questions! Of course, some are better at doing this than others.

I'm not sure about asking for questions in advance. You can certainly do this, and they'll probably be happy to tell you, but the presenters don't always stick to what they've said, which can be worse than not knowing what to expect. Sorry for conflicting advice.

Think in advance about what you want to tell people. It doesn't matter much if what you say doesn't match the questions very well - it's not an exam. The audience is more important than the presenter - what do you want to tell them? What do they want to hear?

If there are any facts you want to mention - how many varieties of apple there are, that kind of thing - write them down on a bit of paper and have it in front of you. No-one can see your notes over the radio.

Also, don't be too scared of silence. It's OK to take a moment to think - it will sound ten times longer to you than it does to anyone else.

Good luck and have fun!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pretend you're talking to a newly acquired friend---like it's just one person---the interviewer. If it's "just one person" it's much easier.

I used to give presentations for my company on new products and services. Sometimes I'd speak to large civic groups. It gets a lot easier with time, but really you have to remember that you're talking to people just like you.
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

You have obviously been asked because you know about it.If you are going to do any preparation think about what you want the general public to know about it and why they would be interested in attending it. Maybe there is some humour that you have thought about sharing but before you do think is it funny or could anyone be offended. Good luck and we will listen.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

marshlander

Brilliant advice peeps! Feel a lot more confident about it now - I'll write out large the what when where why etc so I don't say the wrong date or something equally stupid and, as you say - try to chat 'normally'. Thanks you lot, you're ace!
Terri x
Rebecca McKinsey

Milims

Best of luck! :flower:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

IT has happened. How did it go xx
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

marshlander

Not too badly, Asked the what where when, able to mention WI campagning, love of cooking and good food, demise of bee colonies. Who was coming? Cider maker, bee keepers, WI refreshments, school children painting/poetry. Forgot someone no doubt. Then went a bit wrong. The presenter was incredulous that there was such a thing as apple cake. So I mentioned carrot cake, Dorset apple cake and Americans like apples :roll: Then asked if the apple was used grated :dontknow: so I said also sliced or some similar waffle. Then I was asked if people could taste the exhibits :shock: I said, not usually (!?) but there would be a cake stall. I was trembling all the while - heaven knows why. At least a few people might have their curiousity raised enough to come. And a few more think there's some very odd women in the WI :lol:

On the plus side I'm very please how my prizewinner's certificates turned out. And I've done a find the worm game with stickers and numbered squares.
Attachments
worm2.jpg
worm2.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
cert2.jpg
cert2.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 7085 times
Terri x
Rebecca McKinsey

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well done you. It is understandable that you were thrown off guard at someone not knowing apple cake!

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

That sounds like you did an excellent job, cramming in loads of information and dealing with the odd inane question. Well done! :cheers:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

boboff

Well done, a star is born no doubt!

Crackin' Certificate, and a childish snigger at your worms name!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/