I love a bargain,what did you buy today??

A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
clare
Living the good life
Living the good life

I love a bargain,what did you buy today??

Especially food.Times are hard for everyone so when I get a reduced item in the supermarket really cheap it makes my day,Yesterday I was passing and needed milk so I had a quick look and got 3 brown loaves for 29p each,2 large salmon fillets for £1.49,a Large free range chicken for £3.99,4 breaded haddock large for £2.65,a large pack of steak mince for £2.89(two meals worth)and a pack of croissants(weekend treat with homemade jam) for 33p,oh and the milk I went in for, not reduced, £1.£13.22 I didn't mind spending on nearly a weeks dinners.
Grow it,make it ,eat it, drink it and sleep well!

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: I love a bargain,what did you buy today??

The Roadkill Counter is always my first stop in the supermarket.. ;)
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

happyhippy
A selfsufficientish Regular

A pack of brand name(not really into brand names but if its a bargain who cares!)toothbrushes,6 pack for £1,tube of Loreal shampoo,was £5.99,brought for £1.50p.

The Riff-Raff Element

French supermarkets are pretty poor when it comes the hefty discounts one can sometimes find in the UK. They do the odd bogoff these days, but their hearts aren't really in it.

I went shopping Wednesday and was confronted with a large chiller cabinet full of "special offer" two packs of a well-known Normandy butter complete with a life-sized cardboard cut out of a comely milkmaid. A quick squint at the regular cabinet demonstrated that the discount for buying the "special offer" two pack represented princely saving of two cents over buying two individual packs.

Of course, it doesn't help that French supermarkets really don't mind running out of things like fresh chickens so they seldom have much stuff on short dates.

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

Books! My Sweetie gave me some money for Christmas and told me to buy anything I'd like (he's so good to me!) with it. I took some of it and bought 10 books on Amazon that I had been wanting for a very long time. Getting them online is so much cheaper that I could afford almost all of the ones I really wanted, as I don't mind used one bit, as long as they are in decent shape and don't reek of ciggarette smoke.

I got gardening books, a couple of cookbooks, a book on reflexology, and a couple of pattern books (sewing/crafty stuff). I think I'll open them one at a time and savor them...kinda like my own personal candy stash...
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

oldjerry

I don't do supermarkets except for fuel,but the other Sunday we went into Morrisons on Sunday at about 3.30,can't remember why,and they had shed loads of Baguettes at 20p!!

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

i picked up a cornishware teapot for £10 in a charity shop (completing my tea set after i bought 6 cups and saucers to match for £3 a few months ago) , a graphic design book and a beautiful photography book "earthsong" - these were £10 each and both well under the cover price.

they will be keeping me busy for the next week or so

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

I picked up 12 huge cabbages for about 80p in English money. I will be making kisolozeli today mmmmmmmmmmm
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

ajs88
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Not today, but I recently bought a full length cashmere wool mix coat from Oxfam thats in really good condition. Thank goodness as I was dreading a cold winter without one and highstreet costs are just crap polyester thin things and still really expensive.

My supermarket rarely does absolute bargains but they often do half price mark downs on good cuts of meat which brings them down to what I consider normal.

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Last week I bought two large 12 packs of crisps - down from £4.59 to 49p. What I didn't realise was that they were on a multisave at two for £5 so the shop deducted the multisave from my bill (-£4.18). So I got the crisps free and £3.20 off the rest of my shopping!
I also picked up a bargain from the Sally Army shop. I rather fancied a wooden cantilever sewing box and spotted one for £7.50 and it still contained the previous owners sewing bits and bobs - loads of buttons, some zips, elastic, embroidery threads.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

happyhippy

A pair of summer PJ's(I have family in Oz)for my son's gf's birthday present for £6,bottle of Timotei non chemical shampoo 500ml for £1.49,Simple brand skincare from Asda any 3 for £4 (stocking filler present for youngest for Xmas)and two half loaves of Braces Wholemeal Bread 21p each!

southeast-isher

I love buying fennel toothpaste! :-)

Mustardseedmama
Living the good life
Living the good life

It wasn't today, but eariler this year I bought two half-finished home-sewn sundresses for $1.50. I brought them home, ripped them apart, and made a really nice book bag (with "secret" pockets and everything!), and a stuffed toy (Pointy Kitty from Wee Wonderfuls), both for DD, out of them. Now I still have scraps for quilt blocks! I really enjoy thrift.
What if you're wrong? What if there's more? What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
Nichole Nordeman----Brave

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

happyhippy - the pound shop often has the timotei naturals...for £1.

happyhippy

Is it a 500ml bottle though?Saturday from Asda I brought pasta bake ready meals (feeds 2)for 44p each,Morrocan burgers 40p for 2,some brussels for 25p,2 bags of soup veg 65p each (already made the soup,its in the freezer!)bags of apples for 49p,big bag of banana's 80p.