Fight obesity like tobacco

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Fight obesity like tobacco

Fight obesity like tobacco and the debate starts. http://www.thestar.com/living/health/ar ... io-doctors

The practical check, Practical BMI if you like.
Stand in front of a mirror nude and jump up and down. Anything that shakes you don't need and is generally unhealthy. (don't include the obvious).

Fight obesity like tobacco, say Ontario doctors
Published on Tuesday October 23, 2012
Share on twitterShare on facebook

44 Comments
Ontario doctors have launched an assault on obesity, saying society should aggressively fight the epidemic using the tools that have made major inroads in the battle against smoking.

The campaign calls for graphic warnings — like the ones on cigarette packages — on high-calorie, low-nutritional value foods such as sugar-sweetened soft drinks, french fries and even fruit juice.

It also calls for higher taxes on sugary or fatty foods, lower taxes on healthy foods, and restrictions on sales of junk foods in sports venues and other recreational facilities used by children and teenagers.

Society needs to start addressing obesity or it will face epidemic levels of weight-induced illnesses, including Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some cancers, Dr. Doug Weir, president of the Ontario Medical Association, said at a news conference announcing the campaign Tuesday.

“If we don’t do something about this now, we’re going to have a tidal wave of the consequences of those conditions,” said Weir, a psychiatrist who deals with issues related to childhood obesity on a regular basis in his practice.

He estimated the extra health-care costs from obesity are $2.2 billion to $2.5 billion a year in Ontario alone.

gregorach

Re: Fight obesity like tobacco

Two words that could make a big difference: advertising ban.

Can anybody imagine British Imperial Tobacco sponsoring the Olympics?
Cheers

Dunc

Durgan

gregorach wrote:Two words that could make a big difference: advertising ban.

Can anybody imagine British Imperial Tobacco sponsoring the Olympics?
I concur. The media articles and advertising certainly drives the junk food industry.

boboff

Thanks Durgan I just did the mirror thing and my neigbour was rushed to Hospital with a severe case of hysteria, rather like your doctor friends.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Juice? JUICE???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, the irony, Durgan!

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Durgan

MKG wrote:Juice? JUICE???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, the irony, Durgan!
Mike
While this starts out with a can of Campbell's Tomato Soup, it was listed at the bottom of the Mayo Clinic Newsletter today. Made it at lunch, and liked it so much, I cannot wait until lunch tomorrow for the other bowl. I did not have fresh basil so checked and 1 tsp. of dried equals 1 tbsp. fresh.

Dietitian's tip: Tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that may help protect against cancer and cardiovascular disease. Lycopene is most plentiful in red tomatoes and is best absorbed when the tomatoes have been cooked. By Mayo Clinic staff
Serves 2
Ingredients
•1 can (10.5 ounces) condensed low-sodium, low-fat tomato soup
•1 can (10.5 ounces) filled with fat-free milk
•1 medium tomato, chopped
•1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or cilantro
•2 tablespoons croutons
•1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
In a saucepan, add the soup and milk. Whisk together until smooth. Warm over medium heat about 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the chopped tomato and herbs. Cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Ladle even amounts into individual bowls and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon croutons and 1 1/2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
P.S. I would order this again in a restaurant.

My comment.
The main ingredient is supposed to be the tomatoes. You started with junk food and continued. My method.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RJSIZ 17 September 2012 . Tomato Juice.Sixty pounds processed

southeast-isher

some people put on weight due to medication and no matter what they do they can't lose it.

southeast-isher

There is nothing that dangerous about tobacco itself. Sure smoking it is very bad for you. Swedish snus for example is about as harmful as drinking coffee. :-)

Durgan

southeast-isher wrote:some people put on weight due to medication and no matter what they do they can't lose it.
Grasping at straws. Deny! Deny! Deny! One out of three kids in Canada are overweight. Surely medical conditions are only a minor issue.

Ellendra

Because the solution to everything is more government . . .. .

oldjerry

Durgan,mate,Pray tell me ,why should I give a flying ---- about what 'Ontario Doctors' have to say about anything?

Seems to me that I've spent most of my life ignoring what one bunch of people tell me to do,just for them to be replaced by another bunch(presumably a bit more 'right on') that are still telling me what to do.

...........Meet the new Boss..........Same as the old Boss.

southeast-isher

Durgan wrote:
southeast-isher wrote:some people put on weight due to medication and no matter what they do they can't lose it.
Grasping at straws. Deny! Deny! Deny! One out of three kids in Canada are overweight. Surely medical conditions are only a minor issue.
it's not a minor issue to the minority that suffer from it, no.

boboff

So Durgan is saying that obesity is a major issue to the minority (1/3), SE is saying medicated weight gain is a major issue to a minority of the minority, which means the major issue for the majority is know it all doctors and others telling us how to live our lives?

OK, clear on that.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I don't think it is wise to tell people if they jump up and down in front of the mirror and anything wobbles then they are fat. I don't know if you've noticed but even super models' legs wobble when they walk down the catwalk ( somthing which lets me sleep easier at night ). Everyone wobbles and not everone is fat. Telling normal weight people they are fat can be phycologically damaging for them, especially for young girls and people with body image problems. We are all different shapes within normal weight range. My BMI is 21.5, i'm 5ft 1 and weight 114lbs. I have had 2 kids and i wobble conciderably when i jump up and down in front of the mirror. Am i fat? And just out of interest, what do you weight and whats your BMI?
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

demi wrote:And just out of interest, what do you weight and whats your BMI?
Well since you asked, I weigh 154 lb, I'm 5' 11" and my BMI is 21.5
And I also probably have wobbly bits, but I don't make a habit of jumping up and down anywhere, let alone in front of a mirror, so I don't really know.
If I did jump up and down I'd be afraid of bits falling off. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.