Re:Benifit of getting high school diploma 0nline @ Spamland

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re:Benifit of getting high school diploma 0nline @ Spamland

Will somebody please fix the spambot detection on this forum.. Captcha needs to updated regularly..
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Benifit of getting high school diploma online at Sandfor

Where is this posting ?
If I can't find it I can't fix it.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Someone else got their first and deleted the spam post.. it's difficult to tell if these are spambots or someone sat manually going through the registration process and pasting the spam into a post.

I'm just having a quick search to see if Peoplesign has been cracked.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well that would be me when I logged on this morning, and yes it is individuals manually joining the forum at a rate of about 3 or 4 a day.
Tony

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Why do people make spam and viruses and other annoying shit on the internet. Are their lives really that sad that they need to do that for entertainment? What complete loosers. Go get a social life FFS!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

demi wrote:Why do people make spam and viruses and other annoying shit on the internet. Are their lives really that sad that they need to do that for entertainment? What complete loosers. Go get a social life FFS!
Just about all the spammers on here at the moment are individuals that live in either Bangladesh, Philippines or Pakistan and are being paid to advertise the products of western companies or services.
So they are in effect (trying to) making a living.
Tony

gregorach

demi wrote:Why do people make spam and viruses and other annoying shit on the internet. Are their lives really that sad that they need to do that for entertainment? What complete loosers. Go get a social life FFS!
As Tony says, they're getting paid for it. What's your excuse? :wink: :iconbiggrin:
Cheers

Dunc

John Headstrong

I deleted the post, I didn't see that someone had replied to it.

Like Odsox said, most of the current spammers are people, for the first part, then they sell the username/passwords to people that use bots (automated software) to post links for products and/or webpages.

We have many lines of defence for the forum, the "people sign" on registering has been very successful, hence we only have humans getting past these days. The defences are quite good at the moment, very few make it to register and post, the few the do get zapped by the admin team.

I have just setup a forum for a customer, once I had set the board up, it was hit within 2 mins with automated spam and didn't stop until I placed a script in the way.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I';ve seen adverts on websites for freelancers for 'forum posters' and that is exactly what they ask for - people to sign up to forums, make a few posts and then sell the usernames/passwords back.

They have to sign up for doing somewhere in the region of 3000 posts...

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Re: Re:Benifit of getting high school diploma 0nline @ Spaml

We have a little web site just for short films, it is just a wysiwyg site I fiddle around with in the winter, I know all about the pain in the rear end from these spam people, and I don't have a forum, just an email address. Anyway, a new version of the sofware came out with one of these capach things as an update. It worked, I can't belive it, but it worked! I don't think you will ever stop the manual people though, but I supose as long as they get paid for it it will continue.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

gregorach wrote:
As Tony says, they're getting paid for it. What's your excuse? :wink: :iconbiggrin:
Well i suppose thats understandable, they don't know any better. That also explains the bad English :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

JonathanJ
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53.22895
longitude: -1.41436

the.fee.fairy wrote:I';ve seen adverts on websites for freelancers for 'forum posters' and that is exactly what they ask for - people to sign up to forums, make a few posts and then sell the usernames/passwords back.

They have to sign up for doing somewhere in the region of 3000 posts...
One of the reasons that people "spam" on forums is to create a back link to their website.

The more back links to their website the higher the authority in the Google algorithms. From that the higher page ranking on Google.

Google is smart though, and will look at the relevance of the site back linked to. So a back link from this site to say a dating site would have less authority than say to a green energy site. It might even go against them and lower their Google page ranking if there are sufficient irrelevant back links.

Some back linkers use a software robot that can submit variations of the same article to hundreds of forums and article directories at the same time.