Tomatoes

Politics, news, current affairs and anything else that you think should be here goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tomatoes

There you go, I just knew there was a reason why I grow and eat so many tomatoes.
Selfsufficientish herbalism ? :iconbiggrin:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19869666
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: Tomatoes

Interesting.

I like this:

"The results support the recommendation that people get more than five servings of fruits and vegetables a day, which would likely lead to a major reduction in the number of strokes worldwide, according to previous research."

Good food = good for you, bad food = bad for you. People who eat more fruit and veg eat less bad crap and its the bad crap that has negitive effects on your health.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

There hasn't been a huge amount of research into lycopene and its potential benefits to health, but what has been done gives encouraging results suggesting strokes, heart attacks and some cancers are all reduced by a diet high in the red stuff. Like most cheap stuff, pharmaceutical aren't madly interested in pursuing work that would yield them little direct income and might even undermine lucrative drug sales, but I suspect that as health budgets tighten, government funded research into cheap, effective, dietary preventative medicine might get a lift.

And tomatoes taste good.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I read sometime ago that cooking tomatoes makes the lycopenes more available and they were advising people to eat more tomato purees and even tomato ketchup which has high concentrations, even more reason to make and bottle your own organic passata and ketchups :iconbiggrin:

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nah - doesn't work. Over 60 years of stuffing tomatoes down my gob, and I'm still a grumpy old sod.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It's a potential medicine, not miracle, Mike! :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

MKG wrote:Nah - doesn't work. Over 60 years of stuffing tomatoes down my gob, and I'm still a grumpy old sod.

Mike

" We had noticed"
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

The Riff-Raff Element

diggernotdreamer wrote:I read sometime ago that cooking tomatoes makes the lycopenes more available and they were advising people to eat more tomato purees and even tomato ketchup which has high concentrations, even more reason to make and bottle your own organic passata and ketchups :iconbiggrin:
Particularly when cooked with oil - lycopene is fat soluble. There's also a pile of salicylates (aspirin like molecules) in tomatoes that may have an action: too little research again.

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:
diggernotdreamer wrote:I read sometime ago that cooking tomatoes makes the lycopenes more available and they were advising people to eat more tomato purees and even tomato ketchup which has high concentrations, even more reason to make and bottle your own organic passata and ketchups :iconbiggrin:
Particularly when cooked with oil - lycopene is fat soluble. There's also a pile of salicylates (aspirin like molecules) in tomatoes that may have an action: too little research again.
It is interesting what turns out to be good for you. We live in Bulgaria, lots of things are red, wine :cheers: tomatoes, peppers more wine :cheers: No, really one traditional Bulgarian preserve is Lutenitsa, red bell peppers, tomatoes albergene and sunflower oil, all in one good stuff it turns out!
Anyway, we made this film a couple of years ago if anyone wants to make it, scale it down and do it in the kitchen on the stove simple as a pimple :-) http://www.inbulgaria.co.uk/Lutenitza.html
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Durgan

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RJSIZ 17 September 2012 . Tomato Juice.Sixty pounds processed

howie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Shame that every one of my plants got blight this year. Every year I dream of having a tomato glut and end up with courgettes :?
Psychological tale of love, music and self-sufficiency: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-is-the-Co ... 123&sr=1-1

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I took cuttings from my cherry tomatoes in the garden which i grew from seed this year. Got 7 cuttings and they've all rooted! I gave one away because im not going to have enough space on the livingroom windowsills for them all. I'll probably give away a couple more plants. Maybe i'll have cherry tomaotes ready for christmas? To go with the sweet potatoes i also have in a big tub in the livingroom which will hopfully grow over winter and produce some yummy sweet potatoes for christmas dinner! :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

i just spent more then $300 on over 100 kinds of tomatoes as the govt here is introducing new bio-security measures that will effectively cut tomato seed imports - some of the strictest in the world as of June next year if both parts pass unmodified. 100+ kinds of open pollinated and heirloom tomatoes can never be a bad thing though aye? . . .
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a bit of a bummer Jed. As it's imported seed I assume that varieties already in NZ will be OK, so a wise move on your part.
I'm still trying to find my ideal varieties to grow, the idea is that when (if) I find them I will be able to ignore what seed companies, governments and Monsanto think I ought to be growing.

My winter tomatoes are now starting to ripen, just as the greenhouse ones are starting to fade.

My tomato wall .............
Winter toms.jpg
Winter toms.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.