Alternative to double glazing

If you know of a way to help save our planet, even just a small part of it put it here. Also if you want to ask how to help, or even if you want to promote your environmental organisation. All goes here.
marshlander
A selfsufficientish Regular

Alternative to double glazing

Have been been pondering internal shutters and came across these insulated blinds - I'm sure I could make something on these lines http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/gre ... azing.html
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

gregorach

Re: Alternative to double glazing

Well worth considering in addition to double glazing. Even the best double or triple glazing still has a comparatively low insulation value (compared to the walls), so you can (apparently) save quite a bit of heat with insulating blinds or shutters. Been on my to-do list for ages...
Cheers

Dunc

grahamhobbs

I remember my friend years ago having padded curtains that instead of hanging from the top like blinds, were folded up (similar to the blinds shown) on the shelf below, they had thick walls so the shelf below the window was quite deep in most cases, so acting as a cushion during the day and were then lifted and hung from hooks at night over the window. I imagine with the blind system the 'padding' or insulation would need to be kept very thin but with this way the insulation can be a bit more substantial.

safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

thick curtains would surely be easier and do a similar job

gregorach

Ideally any window insulation needs to fit closely to minimise"thermo-syphoning" - where cold air falling from the window spreads out across the floor and sucks warm air in at the top. Curtains which reach right to the floor can do quite a good job, but insulation generally works better with as little dead space as possible. And all of these solutions are generally used in addition to thick curtains...
Cheers

Dunc

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

we have really funny little windows, our walls are very thick, my partner made these shutters and they work really well, we call them our wooden curtains, these were the prototypes and we will be putting them in through the whole house now.
Attachments
21 august (20).JPG
21 august (20).JPG (21.86 KiB) Viewed 10240 times
21 august (19).JPG
21 august (19).JPG (23.5 KiB) Viewed 11425 times

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Conventional curtains benefit from pelmets to help reduce thermo-syphoning
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

In my student days I lived in former MOD married quarters that had been taken over by the University as digs. All the windows were single-glazed, and as this was Aberdeen it made for a very cold house in winter. I scavenged a roll of bubble-wrap and secondary glazed my bedroom window with that. It worked, as a cheap and ugly solution that significantly reduced light transmission.

If you don't want to go to the expense of double-glazing, go with secondary glazing. I can remember it being very popular in the 80's - particularly for sash windows as there wasn't a practical/affordable double-glazed option for those until comparitively recently.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Mithril2
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Last edited by Mithril2 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I've found that thermal linings on curtains make a big difference.

I've also discovered that there is a reason why old-fashioned curtains included a pelmet and long tails that hung down the sides of the curtains. These stop the thermal syphoning that Gregorach mentioned and stop draughts from the sides as well.

If you have radiators under your windows, tuck your curtains in behind the radiator. That way the heat is thrown out into the room rather than up behind the curtain and out of the window.

I've been toying with the idea of quilted curtains but I need to be able to wash them so they might be a bit big for the washing machine. Will continue thinking until my washing machine gives up and I can buy one with a bigger drum.

Zoe

The Riff-Raff Element

Mithril2 wrote:I'm going to buy some of the plastic film you place over the glass and shrink to fit with a hair dryer. Probably not as warm as bubble wrap, but I'd like to be able to see out the windows.

Will let you know if it makes much odds.
We're using it on the few remaining single glazed windows we have. It certainly seems to make a 2-3° difference, which is not to be sniffed at.

seasidegirl
Living the good life
Living the good life

The coldest windows in my house are original sash ones which were the only ones not replaced by the previous owner. They are unfortunately on the north facing (open) side of the house and include the bathroom and loo.

In the winter I had the idea to hang double net curtains up and I think they have made a considerable difference. On one of them I've got a traditional net, and then on another tension rod in front (so there is a gap between) a voile curtain. This, surprisingly, seems to have made a huge difference against the draughts. The good thing about it too is that the insulation effect is there all day and not just when you draw the curtains at dusk. Cheap as chips too.

Yes it does reduce the light a little but not much and the warmth more than compensates.

I've been thinking about putting two curtain tracks up in our sitting and bedrooms on the cold side. Have thought that if I had a plain cream curtain against the window and then a darker one in front, hanging from the top in the bay then it could look quite nice and really warm the room up. Am really liking this idea but prob won't get around to it until next year.