Hw do I align a chimney cowl?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hw do I align a chimney cowl?

We're installing a woodburning stove and I've got to put a chimney pot and cowl up as we don't have one. I've bought a bonnet cowl like this http://www.wtknowles.co.uk/products/pro ... =&styleID= but nowhere can I find out how to align it.

Should it go in line with the prevailing wind or across it? And does it even matter?
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

merlin
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 42.165085
longitude: 26.567146

Re: Hw do I align a chimney cowl?

I have just had a look out, everybody here has a solid fuel, wood or coal, or both. Of the people that have the one you have, they are set in all driections. I don't suppose that is help, but is seriously doubt that anybody has any problems.
A few short films of us making home made food and drink in Bulgaria
http://inbulgaria.co.uk/

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bearing in mind my tag line ... a chimney works by the wind blowing across the end of a pipe (as well as heat rising) in the same way as a spray gun or a carburettor. If the wind blows across the ends it should work and if the wind blows through the middle it should work, so I would say that it doesn't matter at all which way you align it.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

If you're talking about one of those T-shaped jobs,I'd say if you are exposed and windy(yes,I'm talking about your house) then I'd have it shielded from the wind,and the converse if you live in a cosy Dingley Dell.On the other hand if your woodburner roars away/won't draw get back up that rickety ladder and adjust.Bws.

marshlander

Chimney cowls used on redundant flues are usually a mushroom shape or bonnet hood. This type of chimney cowl is only used to provide flue ventilation in an unused chimney and should NEVER be used on a live chimney. If you bought this on the advice of a builders merchant they should be shot!

Put up the tallest pot you reasonably can, the tapering towards the top "pulls" the air up from the fireplace or woodstove increasing draft. Make sure the diameter of the base of the pot suits the size of the flue ie not smaller. If you have more than one pot make them the same size or the second pot can syphon the first.

We're on the North Lincolnshire coast (always windy) and had to rebuild the chimneys when we moved in. We installed 3ft tall pots( a roll top and a bishop) and only very rarely have any problems.

Most of the so called down draught cowls are useless anyway. Some fancy terminals have a good reputation for working but their success is just as likely to be added height as their complicated design IMO. Cowls only work if your fireplace smokes when the wind blows in which case a spinning cowl may help. Most other problems are causes by too short a stack or wrong sized flue.

(My job in the real world included designing flues)
Terri x
“I'd rather be a little weird than all boring.”
Rebecca McKinsey

marshlander

btw are you using a flue liner with the stove in which case you can sweep through the stove. If not you will need access to the chimney breast to remove soot once it's been swept. I prefer a soot door fitted on the outside of the chimney stack.
Terri x
Rebecca McKinsey

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

marshlander wrote:Chimney cowls used on redundant flues are usually a mushroom shape or bonnet hood. This type of chimney cowl is only used to provide flue ventilation in an unused chimney and should NEVER be used on a live chimney. If you bought this on the advice of a builders merchant they should be shot!
No we bought it cos it would do the job. Why can't it be used? It provides plenty of area for the smoke to escape.

The flue is already concrete lined according to the HETAS registered bloke who is doing the installation.
Malc

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Is that the exact cowl you've bought, or just one that looks a bit like it?

It very clearly says "Suitability : Redundant Flue" on the page you linked to.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

GeorgeSalt wrote:Is that the exact cowl you've bought, or just one that looks a bit like it?

It very clearly says "Suitability : Redundant Flue" on the page you linked to.
One that looks like it. I've seen plenty of these sort of cowls on chimneys before so I assumed that they would be ok. Looks like I made a mistake. I still don't see what's wrong with them and Merlin's post indicates they are in use round that neck of the woods.
Malc

marshlander

You may find this pdf useful reading http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/curing_ ... oblems.pdf

Are you fitting a cowl due to problems in the past? - your stove may well work perfectly without one.
Terri x
Rebecca McKinsey

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

No, only to stop rain coming down and rusting the stove. I can easily make one like this http://www.chimneycowlproducts.co.uk/ac ... xing_.html
I bought the ceramic one because it fitted the pot that I was buying and it was there. Cash flow problems may mean I can't afford to get another one.
Malc

boboff

Hi Mal.

I had a cowl on my chimney with a Woodburner attached, and knocked it off two years ago, and I have noticed no discernable change in draw, or problems with rain and rusting what so ever.
Given your budget try and take the redundant flue one back and don't bother to replace and cop the cash ( Thanks Marshlander that was great advice by the way, who knew?....well you, but not me)

The thing I think is so important is sealing up all the joins well from stove to flue, I bought Fire cement in a "silicome" style tube this year, and it works really well, then go over the top of it with the flexible black heat resistant silicone..... This and ropes on doors do more to make a good fire crap or a crap fire good in terms of burn I have found...
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Crickleymal wrote:No, only to stop rain coming down and rusting the stove. I can easily make one like this http://www.chimneycowlproducts.co.uk/ac ... xing_.html
I bought the ceramic one because it fitted the pot that I was buying and it was there. Cash flow problems may mean I can't afford to get another one.
It doesn't mean that the pot you bught can't be used, but you need to check on the manufacturers specifications for that cowl. Not just one that looks a bit like it.

Standard cap for a woodburner installation in the UK is a simple (and cheap) zinc cap with birdmesh round the sides. Can you return the cowl you bought, if it turns out not to be suitable?
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

GeorgeSalt wrote:Standard cap for a woodburner installation in the UK is a simple (and cheap) zinc cap with birdmesh round the sides
That's exactly what I have, although mine is stainless steel.
However, the only reason I got one was to stop the wind roaring, it literally made it difficult to hold a conversation or listen to TV in stormy weather. Before that it was just a standard open pot and although logic says that rain will pour down the chimney, I never noticed any problems with damp or wet. I think the soot absorbs the raindrops and the updraft dries the soot.
It was open for several years without problem, so I'm not sure you actually need a cowl at all Mal.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ok thanks everyone. We'll see if they'll take it back. Trouble is we noticed a chip out of it when we got it home :angryfire: (carefully transported on the back seat of the car so it wasn't us) so whether they'll take it back I don't know. I'll get SWMBO to go over tomorrow and ask them about suitability. They are a builder's merchants though rather than a stove supplier or chimney sweep.
Malc