Fresh rhubarb

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fresh rhubarb

Check your rhubarb, folks.

I've just been dragged round the back of the greenhouse by the dog. It's a damp area I normally avoid in winter, but he'd obviously thought he'd spotted something. He had. The rhubarb is already six inches high.

Not being the most avid record keeper, I think that it's very, very early. Am I wrong?

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Fresh rhubarb

I spotted a little growth appearing from the crowns on Christmas Eve as I did the last minute allotment-shop - it's very early and I don't know what will happen if we get hard frosts and snow over January/February.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

No,you're dead right.'Cos the UK's been so wet ,it's easy to forget that it's been pretty mild,we've barely had a frost here.Best cover it up though,sod's law we'll get one soon.

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

My rhubarb all died. Got fried in the sun. I think it's difficult to grow it here because it's so hot in the summer. I will try from seed again this year and find a nice shady spot if it survives.
Same thing happened to my celery, most of it fried in the sun and the 10 plants that survived struggled all summer then finally started growing after September when it was cooler and i finally harvested them the beginning of December before the first snow.
I think i should of planted the asparagus in the shade too. I started with 10 plants from seed, now i can only see 4.
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Millymollymandy

Demi - I wouldn't even bother trying rhubarb there. I have much cooler weather but always have dry weather during summer and it really hates it and spends much of the year dormant. :(
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Can it grow indoors in pots out of the heat and the sun do you think?
We don't eat much of it, a couple of plants would do us for the odd rhubarb crumble or sponge. I wanted to try jam too. And rhubarb stewed in sugar then pureed and mixed with yogurt is divine :iconbiggrin: I will be sad if i can't get it to grow :(
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Millymollymandy

It's too big really to be an indoor plant as they have huge roots and would need a really big pot - I can't imagine it doing well inside. Maybe in a huge pot outside in the shade, that you can keep well watered? It's worth a try if you like it that much!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

don't they grow it in big sheds in yorkshire for early forced rhubarb, you could stick in in the shed in a dustbin, seen it growing in bins quite a lot, would be quite tender and pink like that

Millymollymandy

It has to first be grown outside until it matures, then it is lifted and forced in an indoor shed. After that it needs to be replanted outside and not harvested for 2-3 years so that it can regain its strength! I found my rhubarb never recovered after being forced. :(

oldjerry

I don't think it's good for much after it's been forced either.As a rule probably easiest to divide your crowns every 2 or 3 years,then force a few of the crowns you have spare.Problem for Mike is,his is up where it would be if it were forced,when I spoke to a mate about this ,this afternoon,he suggested wrap it in fleece and that's not a bad idea.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was working in one of my tunnels when I had to say bonjour to my french tarragon which is popping up and my chives are coming up as well, which as you rightly say OJ will all cop it if there is a hard frost, better find the fleece and be prepared

Millymollymandy

At least this thread has reminded me what the plantless pot in my cold frame is. :lol: Suffice to say, my rhubarb is not sprouting despite being even warmer than the already mild outside temperature!

oldjerry

R .I. P. !