Link a stove to the radiators without a back boiler

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Link a stove to the radiators without a back boiler

Someone was telling us today that you can rig your woodburning stove to the radiators without having a backboiler. Is this possible and if so how is it done, we do have central heating as well, we have an oil boiler, not heard of this before, would appreciate any info as we are fitting a stove in the next few months

cheers Lyn

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Link a stove to the radiators without a back boiler

Surely you need a boiler, either a back boiler or one of the ones that wraps around the flue - Charnwood do one of those
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Maybe they meant without having a tank in between (which is how I misread your post initially). Some systems run the backboiler directly to the radiators whereas others heat a tank of water then run the radiators from the tank.

I have heard of systems that waft hot air around the house (heated by the woodburner) through ducts, but that wouldn't use radiators.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

I think we have what they might be talking about. Our stove has a rectangular "tank" only about 5cm deep but with an area that covers the entire back of the fire box. Without checking, this I estimate has a volume of about 10 litres and acts as the primary heat exchanger. From here, the hot water can go either to the radiators, to the hot water tank (where it heats the contents indirectly via a coil) or gets split between the two, depending on what we need at the time.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin

Surely that "tank" is a backboiler, Jon?
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for all the info, looked at the Charnwood flue boiler, perhaps if we had not already plastered our house we could have fitted this before we put in the dry lining. I think our stove will heat the room we are sitting in very nicely and the heat will go round the house anyway if we leave the doors open, we are very well insulated now and one hours heat in the morning stays in most of the day, so hopefully we will save on 7 hours of oil when we get our stove installed.

The Riff-Raff Element

I'd envisage a back boiler to be a larger vessel from which domestic hot water is drawn directly. To be fair, I'm paraphrasing what my wife (chartered chemical engineer - plumbing with really big pipes, in other words) told me when the stove was installed, and her view of the world might be skewed to calling a spade an earth inverting horticultural instrument in cases such as this. Don't tell her I said that.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Riff-Raff Element wrote:I'd envisage a back boiler to be a larger vessel from which domestic hot water is drawn directly.
No, "back boiler" is the term used for the water-containing bit on the back of the stove, i.e. the heat exchanger. The larger vessel is called a thermal store, or just a cylinder, depending on the details of the system.
The Riff-Raff Element wrote:To be fair, I'm paraphrasing what my wife (chartered chemical engineer - plumbing with really big pipes, in other words) told me when the stove was installed, and her view of the world might be skewed to calling a spade an earth inverting horticultural instrument in cases such as this. Don't tell her I said that.
:lol:
---
Rachel