Are You at risk?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Durgan
A selfsufficientish Regular

Are You at risk?

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/cd-mc/diabet ... ex-eng.php Welcome to the Canadian Diabetes Risk Questionnaire

http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/10/26 ... -diabetes/

Nutrition Bites: Does consuming too much sugar lead to diabetes?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are You at risk?

Well that just goes to show how wonderfully accurate these questionnaires are.
I answered all the questions truthfully and apparently I have a low chance of getting diabetes.
I'll have to tell my doctor she is wrong about me being diabetic. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

I had my doubts about this questionnaire when it said that 33 inches is 74 cm :scratch:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

I socred 1.

I think because i answered yes to having a baby weight over 9lbs. My son was 9lbs 9oz, my daughter was 7lbs 6oz. I put on much more weight with my daughter and she was lighter at advrage weight for a girl. I was sure my son was going to be about the same size as her because i didn't put on so much weight but when he came out all the midwifes were shocked how big he was. They said he didn't look like a new born, more like a month old!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

oldfella
latitude: 44.564
longitude: 0.959

Yup, from over eating, over drinking, but mostly from the OH. :(
I can't do great things, so I do little things with love.

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

im not even going to bother with the questionnaire. yes im at risk. I already know type 1 and 2 rife within mothers side of the family. With that real bit of info im actually better prepared than some silly tick box test will ever get me!

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

berry wrote:im not even going to bother with the questionnaire. yes im at risk. I already know type 1 and 2 rife within mothers side of the family. With that real bit of info im actually better prepared than some silly tick box test will ever get me!
It's worth a try just for a laugh.
I'm type 2 diabetic, my mother was diabetic, my grandmother was type 1 diabetic and all her 7 children were diabetic.
I truthfully entered that info into the questionnaire and it told me that I'm low risk. :shock:

I think it got confused by me not being overweight and eating plenty of fruit and veg, which also happens to be one of my bugbears, every time diabetes is mentioned, obesity is also mentioned in the same breath. In fact some web sites imply that the only way to get diabetes is through being obese, when in fact I have never been more than 10-20 lb over weight, and dismiss genetics.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I just did it and it says I'm at high risk. It seems to have assumed that when I answered "no" to low blood pressure and blood sugars that it was because I'd not been tested! Apparently it won't accept that I can be over-weight but not have hyperglycaemia and hypertension.

What a really bad questionnaire.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Ellendra

Zech wrote:I had my doubts about this questionnaire when it said that 33 inches is 74 cm :scratch:

LOL! Good catch.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did the quiz last night, all good, BMI in normal limits, low risk of diabetes, so to celebrate I ate a family sized packet of maltesers until I felt sick and then woke up this morning with a malteser hangover- maybe in future I may juice the maltesers to feel a bit more virtuous than I do now

berry
Tom Good
Tom Good
latitude: 50.3706° N
longitude: 4.1397° W

Odsox wrote:
berry wrote:im not even going to bother with the questionnaire. yes im at risk. I already know type 1 and 2 rife within mothers side of the family. With that real bit of info im actually better prepared than some silly tick box test will ever get me!
It's worth a try just for a laugh.
I'm type 2 diabetic, my mother was diabetic, my grandmother was type 1 diabetic and all her 7 children were diabetic.
I truthfully entered that info into the questionnaire and it told me that I'm low risk. :shock:

I think it got confused by me not being overweight and eating plenty of fruit and veg, which also happens to be one of my bugbears, every time diabetes is mentioned, obesity is also mentioned in the same breath. In fact some web sites imply that the only way to get diabetes is through being obese, when in fact I have never been more than 10-20 lb over weight, and dismiss genetics.
funny you should say that, i was several KGs heavier and ive been the sickest ever this last year with more infections than the previous 5 years.

my granddads Dr told him off for eating too much fruit. apparently the fruit he was eating wasnt helping his type 2 diabetes. :shock:

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

Green Aura wrote:I just did it and it says I'm at high risk. It seems to have assumed that when I answered "no" to low blood pressure and blood sugars that it was because I'd not been tested! Apparently it won't accept that I can be over-weight but not have hyperglycaemia and hypertension.

What a really bad questionnaire.
funny, my dr is of the same opinion. every time I have a blood test he insists on fasting glucose and cholesterol at the same time and is ALWAYS shocked that a fattie fattie bum bum like me could have a really low cholesterol score and completely normal fasting glucose.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!