A chance to meet up with friends and have a chat - a general space with the freedom to talk about anything.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ok just a simple question about image or the impression one gets of somebody else.
I've spent most of my life in the building industry but after a couple of redundancies I'm now a self employed handyman, building and garden maintenance , decorating , joinery and so on. Being on the frugal side (as a duck's arse some say) I don't like throwing anything away if possible and as a result most of my working clothes are repaired. Two pairs of jeans with no knees becomes one decent pair of jeans with knees and that sort of thing.
Now whilist I haven't had a customer say anything or refuse to use me because I've got a patch or two I have had a couple of comments from family really saying that it gives of the wrong impression and I should do something about my "image".
I'm pretty old fashioned about this and if I am a customer and see someone arrive in a big flashy car wearing trendy clothes the first thing that crosses my mind is that it's my money paying for all of that.
So after the waffle , simple question is would a tradesman in patched jeans put you off employing him?

Pete

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Image

This probably the wrong forum to ask that question, skippy. I'm guessing that most people on here would say it wouldn't affect their decision. I can see where your critics are coming from though - unfortunately you don't get to deal with people like us all day every day. :lol:

Maybe you should keep a pair of old, but still intact, overalls or whatever you wear, to go out and spec jobs. Having got the work I'm guessing no-one cares what you wear to do the job. Maybe you could keep said overalls handy to put on over your work clothes if your visiting prospective clients between other jobs.

I do agree it needs to be a balance though, clean and presentable but not looking like they couldn't afford you!
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Appearance would be the least of my worries, and in fact a builder should have patches on his jeans, and rough hands, a muscles.

Trust is fundamental, that comes across through other verbal and non verbal communication.

Just bin that Esso T Shirt from 1992 and you will be fine!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

prison break fan

I'd love to know a handyman in patched jeans!! We live in a very expensive part of West Sussex and handymen don't exist. They are all "skilled craftsmen" and charge accordingly! pbf.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Thanks all for taking the time to answer.

Green Aura , you're probably right about this forum but I'm posting the same question on another form where to be honest people are less , er, understanding. I had thought of keeping a decent set to wear when quoting for jobs but unless I want my van to double as a changing room there are going to be times when I'll end up turning up in patches.

PBF , strictly speaking I could call myself a "skilled craftsman" , time served 30 years experience working on national trust , heritage and prestige jobs working to high quality but to be quite honest I'm just as happy being a handyman and mowing lawns or what ever.

Boboff, no esso tee shirt but here's a little story. About five years ago I did some film work as an extra for channel 4 in a programme about the miners strike. We were asked to come in 1980's clothes if we had them . I put on my "normal " clothes straight out of the cupboard. When we got to site we then went into the wardrobe tent and the wardrobe mistress checked out our clothing. In the line ahead I kept hearing her say "change the shirt" , "wrong jeans" , "no the belts no good" "different shoes" and so on . When I got there she looked at me and said "right next please". I didn't know wether to feel pleased or embarassed.

Pete

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Skippy wrote: I'm pretty old fashioned about this and if I am a customer and see someone arrive in a big flashy car wearing trendy clothes the first thing that crosses my mind is that it's my money paying for all of that.
That's my reaction, too. I judge a tradesman on whether he sounds like he knows what he's talking about and whether I think he's trying to pull the wool over my eyes. Wear what you like!

I don't have much money but I do believe in paying a fair rate for a job.
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Time and place I suppose. If someone comes round to quote I'd be annoyed if they trampled mud into the carpet but when they turn up to do the job they can be as scruffy as they like. In my job (fixing radiotherapy machines) we do have a dress code but even if we didn't I'd try and look reasonably smart as I feel it gives the patients a bit of confidence.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Skippy wrote:I had thought of keeping a decent set to wear when quoting for jobs but unless I want my van to double as a changing room there are going to be times when I'll end up turning up in patches.
That was why I was thinking about something like overalls you could just pull on over the top of your work gear. I'm guessing that if a potential customer sees you pulling them on, even if they don't care what you're wearing, they might appreciate you putting something clean on to enter their house etc. It's not a necessary act - just an added touch of thoughtfulness that gives the impression you'll clean up after yourself as well as doing a good job.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

I must just add, it the question was "Are patches a bad idea"

Not whether Skippy is a chatty bloke who never washes or hasn't the decency to remove soiled work boots on entering someones home!

Clean Patched clothes.... OK, Sh1T high Prada, never a good look baby!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would not appreciate someone coming round in dirty boots and clothing to do a job inside the house. I always take a look at the van as well, a tidy well ordered van is a good signal to me that someone is well organised and will do a tidy job. A disorganised van that rocks up and disgorges the contents when the door is open (usually all over your driveway) not a good signal to me personally. I am a right scruffbag too, but I always wore clean jeans and shoes, even though I was a gardener, when going round to meet a client for the first time. I think Green Aura is spot on, just keep the clean overalls in the van and stick them on, not really a big problem and give a good first impression.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

Good points made by everyone. I would only add, use your experience. How many jobs have you turned up for - quoted and then not got the job? If the answer is "not many" then continue as you are. If however, you believe that changing your appearance would improve your "conversion" rate then take the sensible answers on board. :roll:
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

clean is the many thing when quoting but a patch or 2 would not bother me
Darn that Wabbit

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I think I'm happy with the comments. I do tend to keep a couple of pairs of disposable overalls and some overshoes with me in the van and normally a pair of clean trainers to change into if the job involves inside work (I have at times worked without shoes but sometimes have odd socks on too). Oddly enough a pair of white overalls does seem to lend an air of professionalism to decorating work even with speckles of paint where a new clean pair of jeans seems to shout DIY.
I'm personally clean and always try to have clean clothes for interior work and wouldn't dig someones garden over and then go straight in to work on their cream coloured carpet but really the question was wether a person working in patched clothes gives off an unprofessional image, although I haven't had any complaints from customers.

mend and make do Pete

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Sorry to bump this but after all this time I've finally had a comment about the patches.
Recently I was working at a fairly , shall we say , posh house , converted stable block , courtyard , live in nanny all that sort of thing. I was on a pair of steps when a visitor of the customer entered the room and sat down so that her eyes were on a level with my legs. Of course this meant she could see the patches and then asked me " who patches your jeans , your wife? " I had to reply that I did it myself which prompted the response about it being done very neatly for a man and that in turn led to a good 20 minutes or so spent chatting about all manner of clothes making , repairing and needlework in general.

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd say keep on doing what you're doing.

I did some work for a snooty woman years ago and I'll always remember what she said.
She said, "I saw our window cleaner the other day doing his shopping, and do you know he's got a nearly new car !!"
Then she said, "well I won't be using his services again as he is obviously over charging me"

I well and truly overcharged her when I totted up my bill :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.