washing line

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

washing line

on our house we have a hook with one of these on it:

http://www.kamhardware.co.uk/photos/1.7 ... CS1010.jpg

and a cleat further down.

and at the other end of the garden is a standard metal post with four cross poles on the top

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harrygep/4633209292/

now the cross pieces are some 7-8ft up, is there any way I can utilise the pulley so that I, as a 4ft 8in woman, can pull washing into the air? or rather so I can have the line secured to the top of the pole and then pull it tight easily at the house end?!

I've tried using the pulley but I don't think I'd doing it right as it's not easy; I was expecting the use of a pulley to make it easier but I know one single pulley wont give much of a mechanical advantage....

can anyone help please?!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

MarcherLady
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: washing line

This may be over-simplistic, but have you checked that the pulley doesn't need oil/WD40 - to make it easier to adjust? Alternatively, my grandmothers used to have a clothes prop, (basically a hook on a stick) to prop up the middle of the line so the washing didn't hang on the floor.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It's going to be mighty heavy to hoist a line full of washing on that, Mrs F.

It might be easier to just have a line long enough to bow sufficiently for you to reach it and invest in a long prop.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

mrsflibble wrote:I've tried using the pulley but I don't think I'd doing it right as it's not easy; I was expecting the use of a pulley to make it easier but I know one single pulley wont give much of a mechanical advantage....
One pulley won't give any mechanical advantage.. you need two ;)

There's a row of terraces near us have the same system, next time I'm passing I'll look and see what arrangement they use.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

oldjerry

Another vote for the clothes pole.

(As a child,inspired by the Tokyo Olympics on Dad's recently aquired Television, I attempted to pole vault Mum's washing line using said pole,I broke the pole,and my arm...... Dad just managed to keep a straight face whilst giving me one of the greatest bollockings I'd had.....up to then)

boboff

I use a similar set up, Jerry as always is right, even if you can pull up the string with weight it will bow down and drop, and you will need a clothes poll to prop it up.

I use a fork ended Hasel twig/tree/pole and it last about 3 years before rotting, although I have been known to use it to fizz up the Septic Tank, which OH doesn't like!

*Wonders longingly about the weather to dry stuff outside!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

[quote="boboff............... Jerry as always is right,

Pole-vaulting a washing line on a 7 foot piece of 2''x 1'' ??

boboff

We were young, in love, and the music was playing.................
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

okiedokies, big stick it is then. thanks guys!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Niele da Kine
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 21.27
longitude: 157.82

The picture in the first link didn't show up so I can't answer precisely, but a load of laundry on a line is really heavy. One pulley isn't gonna do much you may need a block and tackle with four or more strands of line going between the two. You'll also need sturdy poles and something secure to anchor the whole enchilada to. Look at what sailboats use to bring in the mainsail, that sort of rig will lift a load of laundry.

Search "block and tackle" or "mechanical advantage" on Google and see if anything looks useful. Most of the block and tackles show lifting an object, but just imagine them sideways and pulling the laundry line.