Messed up Marmalade.

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Messed up Marmalade.

Didn't reduce the latest batch enough before I chucked in the preserving sugar,my mind was somewhere else,so it's too runny.Could I just reheat it all,and add some of that liquid pectin stuff I've seen in bottles then rejar? Would it taste weird? would it react with the whiskey?

Any help,suggestions,gratefully received.

contadina

Re: Messed up Marmalade.

I've rescued marmalade with frutapec after additional lemon didn't work and it hasn't impaired the flavour.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Probably didn't reach setting point, I do this sometimes, I just tip it all back in and reheat slowly then bring back to a rolling boil, should do the trick

oldjerry

Thanks both,DND I did that,but I should have reduced the liquid more before the sugar went in.Gilly,if it worked for you then I will resort to the bottle....no change there then!! Thanks again both of you.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

is that the wine bottle?? good man

boboff

In the trade its' called "reworking" It will be 100% fine, if you add pectin it won't have to simmer as long, and as you are adding whisky I would recommend that you do this in any event, as it will mean you don't have to boil the bottom out of it to get it to set.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/