Sheep and Goats

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Sheep and Goats

Hi people

A very biblical question for you today - Can I keep a sheep or two with a couple of goats with minimal problems. I'm planning for milk goats this year and was wondering if I could sneak a lamb or two into the fold so I can have some nice lamb/mutton (virtually non-existent in hungary). Does anyone have any experience of this?
Unfortunately, all my google searches resulted in Matthew 25:31-46

andy

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Sheep and Goats

I'll try and give you a couple of ideas,I kept goats for years,despise sheep,but was surrounded by sheep farmers ,a couple of which paid me to help out on their holdings,so I've a fair bit of experience with them,shearing,'tagging' and especially lambing.
Although it's not cast in stone,for me(and many will disagree here) both animals have different requirements.Although many goats are kept outside on grass.where a sheep would thrive,in my opinion goats do better on a, predominantly ,hard standing.In this way they avoid the dreaded foot rot,and you don't spend so long manicuring.
It may be conceivable ,in a large enough barn,that both animals could knock about together(sheep are herd animals,but Large males/wethers do seem to be OK outside of herds)but they would all need a bit of space, it MIGHT work.

What's wrong with keeping the milk goats and eating the inevitable billy kid?? Go on,close your eyes and pretend it's mutton...................tastes better anyway!! BWs.

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Oh, I was going to eat the billy kids (roasted???), I was just wondering if having two kinds mixed was worth the effort or a common practise

andy

oldjerry

Well,it's commoner than you'd think.As you've probably gathered,I really hate goats routinely grazing on grass(loads of people,perhaps even a majority) would disagree with this,and if you do too,then try it.
Goat meat doesn't just roast or curry(as everyone will tell you) it has all the properties of sheep meat,plus it makes excellent sausage.It may have a reputation as being tough as old boots,but that's because it's production is invariably an afterthought in a dairy set up.Raise your young billy(preferably a pair,if you only have one,buy another of similar age,they're for pennies) on grass if you must,supplement with loads of good hay.Yeah I know I don't like them on grass ,but your not going to keep him long enough to generate serious probs,or else use a less extensive system,either way keep them away from the nannies,or they could taint the milk(They stink anyhow,any goat keeper who tells you otherwise has just been around them so long they've become immune to the smell!).

Hope This Helps!!

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've goat sat out our farm before and they did an awesome job with weeds, baby acacia and grass :) They also has some supplementary hay and oats.
Thanks for the tips re meat, I'm helping to butcher a neighbours billy in a few weeks. Any tips for dispatching?

DavidP
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

In the past we have kept goats with our sheep, no problems at all. We have even given orphaned lambs to the Nanny goat and she has fed them and raised them as her own. Having said that we now have stopped keeping goats (way too difficult to contain the damn things) but still have the sheep.

oldjerry

vancheese wrote:I've goat sat out our farm before and they did an awesome job with weeds, baby acacia and grass :) They also has some supplementary hay and oats.
Thanks for the tips re meat, I'm helping to butcher a neighbours billy in a few weeks. Any tips for dispatching?

Sorry about the delay,

Get your .22 and dispatch it from behind,between the ears( will anyone on here ever speak to me again??)

If your prepared to eat meat,then you've got to be prepared to kill it(or at least,not monster someone who does).And for goodness sake,skin it,nothing should go to waste. Best wishes.

vancheese
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Um, not allowed a gun in hungary (yet) so any other tips?

I'm happy to kill and eat my meat - It brings out a higher respect for the food and I'm definitely less wasteful with the meat

oldjerry

Definite no.Either a .22 or a slaughterhouse bolt,NOTHING ELSE.I should of thought everyone in your neck of the woods would be armed to the teeth,can't you borrow one?? If not it's the abattior. BWs