uses for old plastic bags

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

uses for old plastic bags

ideas please for what to do with plastic bag type stuff.

not really carrier bags, we don't get many and we reuse them for allsorts of stuff, but those flimsy plastic bags for loose veg in supermarkets and the plastic you get on packs of loo rolls etc.

Is there anywhere at all which recycles them? Our need for short bits of 'string' and low grade freezer bags is very limited.

Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

tie them together and then knit a bag :))

stuff them into outdoor cushions/draught excluders

take them back to the shop and reuse them a couple of times until they are no longer worthwhile.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Boots

Hey Shirlz, they are all great ideas...

Especially the cushions! We have 2 shops who recycle bags, the op shop and the nursery. The nursery woman flat out refuses to buy them, and if she runs out it's tough luck... and she is quite rude about it (makes me laugh because she gets quite stroppy when no-one brings them in)

I never seem to have any spare to take in, because I get the bulk of my shopping in boxes that go into the garden beds. What I do get them with the odd thing, they are used in the bin, or for wrapping ducks in the freezer or whatnot. She snarls and spits and just doesn't seem to believe me when I say I have none.

I think I might scrounge around and make her a cushion! :mrgreen:

den_the_cat
Living the good life
Living the good life

thank you - I'm thinking kneeling pads would be a great idea! (smaller than a cushion and my bum is better padded than my knees anway :) )

Ranter
Living the good life
Living the good life

I'm already making plans for using some donated fabric to make a cushion for outdooors. Thanks for the idea.

I save plastic bags from: magazines that are posted or come with the papers; wrapping loo rolls; wrapping bread loaves & all the other myriad things that come in plastic bags. I've a carrier bag full of 'em despite re-using them in the freezer etc. They are getting in the way & I was wondering what to do with them.

Saving them doesn't half make you aware of how many of them are used & has prompted me to look for products that don't use plastic bags.

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Re: uses for old plastic bags

This is only if your kids insist on having fireworks like everyone else! So not this time of year really.
When mine were young, come Guy Fawkes night I would tie some 4-5 plastic bags one underneath the other, and hang them down from the washing line outside. Put a match to the bottom one and we had a marvellous (well, for my kids anyway) fireworks display, sound effects and all.
Not too ecologically sound, but the kids were happy and it cost nothing.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke