Winter Warmer Cake!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
thethriftysquirrels
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Winter Warmer Cake!

Its been a flippin' cold day here with snow and freezing, blustery wind so I thought its a perfect day for a rib-sticking Lardy Cake!

When I was growing up in Gloucestershire these were a real treat but we called them 'Drippers' !

Donna

PS - recipe on my blog if anyone is tempted!!
It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say, 'I don't know.' W. Somerset Maugham

My blog: http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk please take a look and enter the competition!

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Winter Warmer Cake!

I haven't had Lardy Cake for donkeys years - may have to dig out my Mum's recipe and have a go.

Although I sort of knew it was a regional dish I was really surprised when I found out it wasn't from Derbyshire, having only known it there. I'm guessing my Mum brought it with her from Staffs.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

thethriftysquirrels

I was looking for more info about these cakes yesterday and it seems that the Glocestershire 'Dripper' may be slightly different, made with dripping rather than lard (I will stick with solid vegetable fat!) and the Dripper did have a toffee bottom, one of its plus points! Maybe different areas had slightly different versions? My mum certaily enjoyed it though and as an 84 year old Cheltonian who has eaten a dripper or two in her time, she new what they were supposed to be!

I did read an article online from the local newspaper that said the bakeries in Cheltenham no longer sell them...people are too 'health consious' these days, such a shame. The only person still making them is a lady who owns a cafe. Good for her!
It wasn't until late in life that I discovered how easy it is to say, 'I don't know.' W. Somerset Maugham

My blog: http://thethriftysquirrels.co.uk please take a look and enter the competition!

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love lardy cake, made one a few months back. Been to the doctors today cholesterol 5.8 been told no more cake for me, just stick to dust then :pale: That looks lovely, I shan't be looking at it again drool

thethriftysquirrels

That's the trouble with these old fashioned cakes isn't it...the nicer it tastes, the worse it is for you :shock: My husband had high cholesterol (5.1) a couple of years ago and was told he would have to take tablets for it as he is also diabetic.

He hates any tablets so made a real effort to bring it down (by cutting out butter and eggs mainly) and it's now 3.9 :iconbiggrin:

He still has the occassional slice of cake :wink:

...BTW...the lardy cake did taste lovely!

HOMER
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I LOVE Lardy Cake,

Being born and Living all my life In the black country, Lardy Cake was always on the menu around here, When you wonted a bit of cake,
I have never had a go at making any myself but I do have a recipe,
I always buy some from the local farmers market when I go, also local church fates and the like always have some of the best Iv tasted on offer,

Think I might give it a go myself, One day