Beer from hops

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
innerhippy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Beer from hops

Hi there all

Just planning what to put in our massively overgrown new allotment and husband requested hops so he can have a go at brewing his own beer. We've found somewhere to buy plants online, does anyone have any idea how many plants we'll need for a first attempt batch of beer? Obviously we're not opening a brewery just yet so it doesn't have to be loads.

Really clueless so any helpful suggestions welcome!

Cheers

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: Beer from hops

Hi,

Have a look here: http://www.crannogales.com/HopsManual.pdf

I haven't read it and it's probably for larger scale than you want, but it might contain some useful info on growing methods, harvesting and yield.

Cheers,
Mike

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular

I have only got a decent crop from tunnel grown plants, not that I've grown a huge ammount

Ensure you get female plants as, like thier cousin cannabis, they have seperate sexes on different plants

You can propogate quite easily by layering stems (neglected plants will do it for you) so there is no need to buy a load of plants

Treat it like veg an you will get a decent crop, but you must allow a sturdy support
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Look for the site of an old pub (old enough to have brewed it's own beer), you'll often find the hops growing through nearby hedges where it's escaped.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Minnesota
Living the good life
Living the good life

You will need a trellis or a fence or something for it to grow on.

If you choose a variety that is hardy, one plant will give a home brewer enough to brew with all year long. I have a cascade plant, it grows 20+ feet tall on my 20+ foot trellis. it produces about 20 lbs of hops each year...that dries down to 4 lbs. I typically use 2 or 3 ounces in a 3 gallon batch of beer. (all USA measurements). I traded some roots to a fellow member here, I think he lives in Ireland. They take about 2 or 3 years to mature.

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

As minnesota says one plant is enough, it was plenty on my allotment. but yep took 2 years. Where do you live? Up in Scotland and further north in Ireland would be too far north really,there is a reason most hops are still grown in kent/

Now I'm wondering if Minnesota will send me some Rhizomes too!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

innerhippy
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!

I live in Warwickshire, so not exactly tropical, but hopefully temperate enough.

In terms of support I was planning to train it/them around the perimeter fence on the allotment. One of the previous tenants of the plot put up a sturdyish post and wire fence to keep local fauna out, so hopefully that will work.

Think I'll try two plants, time to start foraging in the hedges!

Thanks again.

southeast-isher

try vaporizing some hops in an iolite if you get a chance! never will be banned due to being available to make alcohol.

doofaloofa

southeast-isher wrote:try vaporizing some hops in an iolite if you get a chance! never will be banned due to being available to make alcohol.

Are you saying vaporised hops has a narcotic effect?
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Taf
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Minnesota wrote:You will need a trellis or a fence or something for it to grow on.

If you choose a variety that is hardy, one plant will give a home brewer enough to brew with all year long. I have a cascade plant, it grows 20+ feet tall on my 20+ foot trellis. it produces about 20 lbs of hops each year...that dries down to 4 lbs. I typically use 2 or 3 ounces in a 3 gallon batch of beer. (all USA measurements). I traded some roots to a fellow member here, I think he lives in Ireland. They take about 2 or 3 years to mature.
Hi Minnesota.

That was me you traded the rhizomes with. While they have grown pretty well, the wet and windy summers in my part of Ireland for the last couple of years have not helped the crop be of the calibre that I would have hoped, but I live in hope that this summer will be better! I've given rhizomes to many people in Ireland, so maybe some of them will have better luck than me. I know some people in Ireland are growing them in pollutunnels and that definitely helps protect them, but I think they could take over a bit.

southeast-isher

doofaloofa wrote:
southeast-isher wrote:try vaporizing some hops in an iolite if you get a chance! never will be banned due to being available to make alcohol.

Are you saying vaporised hops has a narcotic effect?
well they are said to be related to cannabis... i've heard it vapes pretty similarly in terms of its effects.