Looking for selfsuff' community in Spain

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
jago25_98
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 52
longitude: 32

Looking for selfsuff' community in Spain

I'm looking for a self sufficient community to buy into.

By that I mean that I'm looking to invest maybe initially just £10k into some land that is my own, but rather than just buying a campo for 2-3x that I want to be amongst people.

I've read about Matavenero but it seems a little extreme. Something more compromising seems to me more realistic. I will be working and earning (2 months in Norway and usualy then a month off). So while I want space to do my own projects and working with the community in my time off, I also want something not so extreme - not so far from road accessible, a phone signal... and less than a day's drive to civilisation if it all gets too much!

I have a basic grasp of Spanish and a campervan which is ready to go ASAP.

I've lived outdoors rough for a month and it got tiresome quickly. I want to skip that initial uncomfortableness if at all possible.

jimmyhague
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
longitude: 7

Re: Looking for selfsuff' community in Spain

hello/hola.. you could try contacting 'Red semillas' as in 'Seed network' not 'red seeds'. We live in Valencia and have a small but dynamite patch behind our house. There are occasional seed swaps from a few sources we'll travel out to but these guys are the most 'on it' and could point you in a good direction. Not far from us there is a little community group like you speak of who have taken over some of the old 'Huerta and abandoned orange fields next to the river towards the airport to create there own larder and community point. seem a busy bunch. Next time i cycle past i'll stop and make a few enquiries for you, cost, legalities etc..

jimmyhague
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
longitude: 7

Re: Looking for selfsuff' community in Spain

oh and the 'reality ' of it comes down to AGUA. if you go to far out into the wilds you'd better have a good well , local irrigation or be next to a river. good luck with everything.