How do i find my dream place?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
DDD
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

How do i find my dream place?

I have a dream of living in the countryside somewhere with good clima where I can live self sufficient, but i dont know in which country I have to search.

I am looking for:
- Good clima
- Good earth
- Clean water (river, lake or underground water
- Animals
- Wood for building a house
- beautiful landscape
- limited rules and goverment (I want to live off the grid without have to worry about rules about building you own house or rules about having animals or having to pay taxes and so on..)
- cheap price for land
- etc.

here is a little ilustration for get an idea:
Link removed by Admin

Any ideas of a perfect place for me to search this (or at least some off the things)?

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Re: How do i find my dream place?

How about here? :)

KathyLauren
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 44.5
longitude: -66

How you find it is by prioritizing your requirements to establish which you are willing to give up. You aren't going to find anything that exactly fits your requirements. If it ever existed, ten million hippies have already bought it up long ago.

The "no taxes" requirement is good for a chuckle, but isn't going to happen in real life.

To clarify, I had a similar list. Still do. How close did I come, on Canada's west coast?

- Good climate:
Really good, "Mediterranean" climate: wet mild winters and very dry, temperate summers. Anything grows there, especially weeds.
- Good earth
Good enough. Especially for the weeds.
- Clean water (river, lake or underground water
Very good, very clean. Not a lot of it in summer, but enough.
- Animals
Cat and dog. That's all we want, but it's a rural area; you can have whatever you want. I kind of dig the rooster next door.
- Wood for building a house
Temperate rainforest. Lots & lots of wood.
- beautiful landscape
Gorgeous. The best.
- limited rules and goverment (I want to live off the grid without have to worry about rules about building you own house or rules about having animals or having to pay taxes and so on..)
No building inspections. But lots of restrictions on what you can build where. The planning authority is mandated to say "no". We like it that way. Taxes: @#$%!!
- cheap price for land
Not even close!

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Where you live is mostly irrelevant.

Self - reliance (as opposed to self - sufficiency which is a meaningless phrase a popularised by a nice old fraud who sold a lot of coffee table books) is a state of mind.

Annemieke
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: N 51°
longitude: W 3°

Change your dream. "Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be".:dog:Abraham Lincoln.
Grow no evil, cook no evil, eat no evil!
And if you are interested in food and/or health, have a look at my website:
http://ThoughtforFood-aw.blogspot.com.
Love, Annemieke

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Doesn't a lot of it come down to the dreaded "M" word-----money and how much or little you have?

Pete

Maykal
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 44.44361
longitude: 26.14056

Skippy wrote:Doesn't a lot of it come down to the dreaded "M" word-----money and how much or little you have?

Pete
I don't know, I've know some terribly rich so-and-sos in my time and most of them were miserable sods. Someone once told me, take a miserable person, give them a lottery win, and they'll be happy, but in six months' time, they'll be a miserable rich person.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

You don't say where you live at the moment, as you are new to the forum, why not share your location with us and what experiences you have had with living an ish life. I had a friend who thought if she could live in a bigger house, she would be happier, only problem was she just moved house, all the issues she had just moved with her, bigger house, still the same person with the same issues.

Yes, Skippy, you do need money to be happy, if you do not have enough you are miserable, too much; misery also, just enough to live on and pay your way; happiness, bit of a fine line really. It is fine living in the middle of nowhere if you have independent means, if you need to get a job, ask yourself why not many people live there - usually because there is no work, no infrastructure, no other kids around locally for your kids to play with, can be very tough if you are not used to that lifestyle

NorthernTeacher
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 51
longitude: 76

Hmmm...maybe a tent and some wild camping to satisfy the urge?
Trees are oxygen givers

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

I wasn't trying to say money brings happiness , rather that a bit does make it easier to make that dream come true. I'm not what would be called rich but I'm careful with the money I have and don't spend it above what I can afford. My wife and I don't live in a credit fuelled luxury lifestyle but we are happy none the less.
Funnily enough I recently attended a business seminar. I'm self employed and there wasn't a huge amount on at the time so I went along if only for the free tea and biscuits. Speaking was a woman in her late twenties and she gave what is I suppose a mean to be an inspirational speech. She then produced from her purse a piece of paper than had on one side her own "mission statement" and on the other a picture of a lamborgini which is the car she aspires to own. She also makes a picture frame of her goals from cars , holidays or gadgets that she wants to achieve every year and hangs this on her fridge door to remind her every day.
She then handed out a sheet of paper with some questions on which asked us what things we wanted and where we want to go and how we see ourselves in 1 , 3, and 10 years.The older ones of us in the group found it a bit more difficult to fill it in as we pretty much were happy to be just comfortable rather than surround ourselves with flashy cars and other tat.

Pete

Niele da Kine
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 21.27
longitude: 157.82

DDD wrote: - limited rules and goverment (I want to live off the grid without have to worry about rules about building you own house or rules about having animals or having to pay taxes and so on..)
- cheap price for land
All of the requirements except the last two are easy enough to locate. Perhaps you could start by looking for the last two requirements and then selecting something that is close to the first ones.

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Maykal: I've been to your country and I liked it very very much. I think it's a fine choice.
KeithBC: My husnband and I are always talking about moving to your part of Canada, I think that's a fine choice too.

We also quite fancy an island or outpost type place where I imagine there's a sense of thecommunity being 'in it together' somewhere where life is a bit windswept and tricky but people pull together.

We like it rather a lot where we are. We live on the edge of a pretty normal town but our hill is so unbelievably steep that most people are very fearful of driving up here. It's also a dead end so if you're up here then it's because you live here. There's an amazing sense of community on our road, considering it's just a 'normal' street. Our neighbours all know each other, if we have excess eggs we take them round to a neighbour, one old guy bakes beautiful sourdough bread and regularly distributes loaves. I sometimes take a neighbour's dog for a walk if she's not feeling up to it. People leave bags of excess veg from their gardens on people's doorsteps. People borrow chairs for dinner parties, or drills for putting up shelves. When the borrowed items return there's often a few slices of cake as a thank you. We all swap Christmas cards at Christmas at a gathering in one of our houses where there'll be an open house for the whole street to pop in for a mince pie and a cup of tea. It's magic here.

My point is, for me it's the neighbourliness that makes this a wonderful place to live and you can make and perpetuate that if you want to.