Why is my fudge too hard!

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Poochy Pie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Why is my fudge too hard!

Hi

I thought i would have a go at making fudge and followed the recipe as provided by carnation milk using the condensed milk. I have followed the recipe exactly on two occasions and both times the fudge has come out like a brick! Some recipes have said that it shouldn't be beaten at the end if it contains condensed milk but their recipe does state that it needs beating until it starts to set - is this causing it to go too hard? I also used a sugar thermometer to ensure i got to the correct temperature.

Any ideas?

Poochy Pie

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Why is my fudge too hard!

have you been using v1agra?

The Riff-Raff Element

It might be that the temperature recommended in the recipe is too high - they do get things wrong, and the transition between soft and hard ball fudge is quite fine . You could try cutting it by 5°C and see what happens. If it doesn't set, at least you'll have a nice sauce for ice cream!

boboff

Okay, I used to be a proper fudge packer.

The way you get round this is to use "fondant" sugar right at the end to seed the sugar particles in smaller particles to make the fudge softer.

All recipes are different, and generally the longer you boil, the higher the temp the harder the fudge, 1c can make a big difference.

If you have some "royal icing" chuck that in at the end, no heat, just stir it in as it cools ( you can use up to 10% of the hard stuff at the end as well as "rework" this will help cool it quicker and make it softer) or try not cooking it so long, add more fat in the form of butter, or even we used some HPKO which gives it a nicer smoother mouth feel. Clotted cream is obviously best!

Good luck.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Poochy Pie

Thanks Jon and Bob - i did try a different recipe that uses evaporated milk and on two occasions it has not set, but like you say Jon it makes a delicious sauce and original to eat fudge with a spoon! I will keep trying and using the advice above and i am sure i will get something that is the right consistency. Cornwall is full of fab fudge shops.............

Poochy