Which apple trees?

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Which apple trees?

Hello,

I've been away for a while but I return with a new allotment. I'd like to put 3 little (the allotment rules say they must be dwarf trees) apple trees on our plot. I've been researching and researching types of apple and I'm finding it very hard to just choose 3. Does anyone have a variety (or varieties) that they love and would recommend?

Also has anyone bought trees online that they've been pleased with? Our budget is very tight but I don't want to buy super cheap trees for fear that won't do as well as if I'd spent a bit more money.

Many thanks

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which apple trees?

I bought all my fruit trees from Walcot Organic Nursery. I don't know if they were cheap, but they had a very good website with pictures and a good description of all the trees, so worth looking at just for ideas. I bought bare rooted trees, I personally think they are much better than pot grown trees as they quickly put down roots and get away well, while sometimes pot grown trees can take some while to come out of the comfort zone of their root ball, but that is just my opinion and I am no fruit expert, but have planted quite a few bare rooted hedges. In fact I must put some pictures of my fruit trees up and get some advice on the pruning as they look a bit haywire

JuzaMum
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hello

I bought these
http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-1001011 ... ollection/
for my small garden which seemed well priced. Unfortunately they did not fruit last year but this is due to monster slugs and snails tucking into the flowers. They have grown despite me taking my time (weeks) to plant them out after they arrived and they did flower well. This year I am putting down slug pellets! I also got a blueberry bush from the same people for £1.99 which managed a small harvest last year.It has grown well and is covered in buds now so fingers crossed for more blueberries this year.

JuzaMum
Happiness isn't having what you want but wanting what you have.

herbalholly
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Great. Thanks, I'll have a look at both of those now.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I'm sure you'll do this anyway, but do wait 'till the backend,and plant bare root.There's zillions to chose from Keepers aren't bad,I really like Bucknall nurseries,not on line but they'll probably send them by courier.I'd cordon them so use the cordon to divide the plot(?) Use M9 or M26 rootstock,you'll find most varieties available in Oct,personally I'd have Discovery(early Eater) Howgate Wonder(great Cooker that keeps) and Annie Elizabeth (with luck will keep 'till April) but each to their own..BWs