Elderflower Champagne - getting it fizzy

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Rundemc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Elderflower Champagne - getting it fizzy

Hi all. Ive made EC a few times but never managed to get bang on. Although I'm not following andys recipe I'd still like to ask a question here. Basically I'm doing a 5 gallon brew and have used a yeast culture with the idea of making it fizzy in the bottle. Do I rack before fermentation has completed into primed bottles and store or do I rack after primary has finished, wait, then clear off with finings and then used primed bottles or neither of these! basically I need to know how to get the clearest possible product out of the bottles with the most fizz.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Sorry this is posted on another threat, but thought I'd start a fresh one.

Broad Bean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Elderflower Champagne - getting it fizzy

You'll only get bubbles if you let it ferment in a bottle otherwise they'll just vent. I'm not really clear how you're doing it (there are so many methods) but it sounds like you're using a demi-john with an air lock but I might have misunderstood. I've only ever done it with natural yeasts and have produced some very nice bubbles (although obviously it does vary), letting it ferment in plastic bottles, venting regularly until the gas starts to die off and then keeping closed to get the final fizz. Sorry I can't be more help.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

I just ferment with it natural yeast to 4 or 5 days in bucket
rack off into another day a put into primed bottles the next
mine always goes off with a bang and clear
Darn that Wabbit

Rundemc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Ok thanks guys. I've got a 5L bin with airlock, and using champagne yeast. It's going to be about 8% when it's done. 3 days of fast bubbling, now slowed down quite a lot. its still quite sweet so wandering if the yeast is dying off. might just be me being paranoid. It's around 27 centigrade in my flat which shouldn't be too hot? Anyhow,thinking going to let it ferment out, rack, leave for a few days and then put in primed bottles. Seems to be what the peeps tell me. Thanks for your help.