Successful alcoholic elderflower champagne recipe

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
Rundemc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Successful alcoholic elderflower champagne recipe

So my latest batch of elderflower champ has been a total success, although I must say it required a lot of babysitting along the way... (But what brew doesn't?)

This recipe uses good quality bought yeast, and i haven't used any preservatives etc. I opened a bottle the other day, around a month after bottling and it was fine. If you want to keep long term it would probably be a good idea to add something, but its up to you.

So, recipe for a 5 gallon brew at 8% abv:

5 gallons water
56 head of elderflower
Juice and rind of 5 lemons
3.5kg white sugar
5g Lalvin Champagne yeast
Yeast nutrients
Large piece of Muslin
5 gal fermentation bin
Sanitizer

MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SANITISED!!!!

This might be a bit o.t.t but i make sure that the 5 gallons of water is at 60c to help kill any bacteria and also steep the elderflower to get the most flavour. I worked in a local cider farm making cider and wine, so I'm replicating their method.

Dissolve sugar in hot water and add to sanitised fermentation bin. In a large pan steep the elderflower (removed from stalk) and lemon juice and rind until water reaches 60c and add to bin. Top up with more water at..... You guessed it... 60c. Let cool to 23c. This will take a few hours but its worth it. Check SG and adjust sugar level if required. (were aiming for a SG of 1.080). With a slotted spoon and seive, remove the elderflower from the bin and place into the muslin and tie up. Squeeze the muslin like a tea bag until no water runs out. You can dunk and redo if you like. I do! You should have a lovely looking and smelling brew. Follow instructions on yeast sachet for rehydration. Once ready, add to the bin along with nutrients. Leave in warm place until fermentation is complete, but check SG to be sure. Once complete, Leave to settle out for 3 days and then rack into another 5 gal bin. If you want to sweeten, and sucrose or another non fermenting sugar, to taste. Add 1/2 tsp sugar to disinfected bottles for secondary fermentation and fill. Place in warm area.

After a few days I check for carbonation. I tend to keep one aside and open it up to make sure the pressure isn't too much, and adjust the others accordingly. When your happy with the carbonation, i stick my bottles out side for 3 nights to kill off any remaining yeast. Refrigerate what you can upright, and store the rest in a cool dark place, preferably upright.

It may be worth pointing out that I originally use standard brewers yeast and it stopped after three days. I nearly lost the lot, not realising that the yeast just wasn't up for the job. Only the Lalvin yeast seemed to ferment without a hiccup.

Any questions ill be happy to try and answer them.

Rayzle 2001
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Successful alcoholic elderflower champagne recipe

That sounds good and hassle free, can I ask what type of bottle you used, is it plastic screw top to release the pressure?
Well done and thank you for the recipe!

Rundemc
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Re: Successful alcoholic elderflower champagne recipe

Hi. Yep I just use standard 1 litre fizzy pop bottles that I saved, (like schweppes bottles). Just let the gas out until its a decent champagne like fizz and chill outside or in a fridge to totally stop the fermentation if it hasn't already. The Lalvin yeast is pretty resistant stuff. Two bottles nearly went because I thought I'd killed it off but I hadn't! Itll be perfectly clear when its ready. When you come to drink it you may want to decant it first just to make sure you dont get any sediment in it. make sure it's well chilled when you do. Hope it's successful for you. Cheers