Hi from Yorkshire!

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Tim TIC
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
latitude: 53.801279
longitude: -1.548567

Hi from Yorkshire!

Although soon to be doing the unspeakable and moving to Lancashire!

I'm Tim and I'm relatively new to growing stuff. I am become increasingly concerned with the rising costs of fresh fruit and veg, the diminishing quality and the air miles, not to mention the effects of agribusiness on small, poorer communities (especially overseas). Not to put a downer on things but the end of this century will see our species hit a habitat saturation point (not enough resources to sustain the species). This has led me to an interest in cultivating my own food. I am particularly interested in hydroponics as an efficient and sustainable method of production although I am yet to experiment. I also have my name on a waiting list for an allotment and all being well I shall have one by winter :cheers:

I am looking forward to learning tips on how to build growing structures (such as a polytunnel) and sharing my exciting foray into growing experiences with other like-minded folk.

So far, I have a windowsill full of five different types of chilli pepper seedlings, three different types of tomato (just sown) and I'm awaiting some Lime Basil and stevia seeds.

That was a rather long-winded 'hi' :wave:

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi from Yorkshire!

Hi welcome to the forum. There was quite a lot of stuff here about polytunnels and the like, I am not sure how to find it now as the searches don't seem to work too well. Anyway, there are people on here with tunnels, myself included, I live in NW Ireland, but used to live in England growing in a suburban garden of 1/4 acre with polytunnel and an allotment. I am sure if you need any help or advice you will find a lot of people willing to offer it. Good luck :wave: :wave:

skeast
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Hi Tim from sunny Lancashire!

Where are you moving to ? I am in longridge, nr Preston or Clitheroe.

Interested in any polytunnel information and ideas as we are just putting in quite a big one at school.

good luck with the move.

Sarah

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

hi and welcome :wave: :wave: :wave:
Darn that Wabbit

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why don't you start a thread about polytunnel questions you may have, I have two tunnels, one is 10ft x 35ft and the other is 16ft x 72ft, so I have experience of small and large tunnels, putting them up and maintaining them organically, sure there are others on here as well who could help out with any questions, I've been at it 12 years now and learnt an awful lot, now selling salad bags into our local shoppe

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

tosca
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello and welcome. Good luck in your new life as a hard working self-sufficientish-er.