MOLE!

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

MOLE!

I went to the allotment on Sunday night, only to find that in my newly sowed carrot and beetroot bed, a bloody pesky mole has dug the whole patch up! :angryfire:

Does anyone know how to deter moles? I don't want to kill it, just to send it off to someone else's patch.

Thanks in advance :)
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: MOLE!

Vibrations are supposed to stop them, although I've never tested it. That's one pest we don't have in Ireland, them and snakes.
I seem to remember things like child's windmills stuck in the ground, or anything that makes a noise. Also prickly holly leaves placed in their runs tend to make them think again. Anything like that as there are loads of other places it could go if it gets too inhospitable on your plot.
Just don't let on to your neighbours how to send them back. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

doofaloofa

My friend's dad (WW2 Para) would wait inthe garden with his shot gun untill he spotted a mole hill starting

He then proceded to empty a barrel intothe hill
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

bonniethomas06

Thanks, will try the windmills if I can find them cheaply. Not sure about the shotgun, bit busy as I work full time!

I did some research and apparently wine bottles poked into holes work too - vibration of wind over the mouth of the bottle. Got to be worth a try and god knows I have enough empty wine bottles...
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Or you could try simply speaking sternly to them. Or reading aloud something like Dante's Inferno, which is enough to make anything move out of the neighbourhood.

Personally (how else?), I think having a mole would be worth the sacrifice of a few plants. Gorgeous animals (yeah, I know - they're a pain in the arse).

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

doofaloofa

MKG wrote:Or you could try simply setting the frogs on them

Personally (how else?), I think having a mole would be worth the sacrifice of a few plants. Gorgeous animals (yeah, I know - they're a pain in the arse).

Mike
@Bonnie Dont foget the wine bottles when you strim/lawn mower!
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln