Glyphosate Watering Can

This is the place to discuss not just allotments but all general gardening problems and queries which don't fit into the specific categories below.
(formerly allotments and tips, hints and problems)
bonniethomas06
A selfsufficientish Regular

Glyphosate Watering Can

Hi all,

Brief question - I bought a new, red watering can to use at the allotment, to distribute Glyphosate (please don't judge - I have a horsetail epidemic and it was an absolute last resort!)

My question is, being rather short of a watering can up there, can I use the weedkiller one for normal watering? Only I understand that Glyphosate does not linger in soil and is deactivated within a very short space of time. Could residue linger in the can once mixed with water?

Cheers
B
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Bonniegirl

Re: Glyphosate Watering Can

We have a back pack sprayer specifically for when spraying with it. We too use it, have too, I'm not prepared to spend time weeding all what can be done with the spray. If you rinsed your can out well enough I can't see it would be a problem, or just go buy another can and keep the red one for noxious stuff :D
The Mothers of teens now know why some animals eat their young!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

The standard advice is no, you can't. But I suspect that's just the manufacturer avoiding potential lawsuits. If the watering can is plastic, then it's very unlikely that any trace of glyphosate will remain after you've thoroughly rinsed it out. The big problem is that glyphosate takes so long to have any effect, so you won't know for a couple of weeks and possibly longer.

I'd say rinse well and then use the can for watering. On the other hand, don't sue me if I'm wrong.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

I am fighting horsetail by painting glyphosphate with a brush rather than spraying. I also use 1 pint plastic milk containers with a hole in the lid to thread bindweed though. This works pretty well but I do have quite a few dotted around the garden.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?