elderflower cordial

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
maisieandgrace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

elderflower cordial

Aaargh!I have made 2 litres of elderflower cordial, and its started to ferment! (Though I've still drunk 1 litre). I'm a bit concerned about the second bottle...any ideas why it happened and what I can do to rescue it?

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: elderflower cordial

Best guess is lack of sterilisation. You could get some camden tablets (Wilkos or Tescos if you don't have a homebrew shop). or let it ferment out, hope that it's decent wine yeast and drink the resultant elderflower wine =P

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmmm. How much sugar is in that cordial? It should be way over the point at which any self-respecting yeast would immediately give up the ghost. Ah well.

You could try a Campden tablet as Brewtrog suggests, but the sulphite taste may hang around for a while. Or you could heat it - pour it all into a pan and take it up to a little above 60 degrees C (death sentence for yeast) and keep it there for 10 minutes or so. If it's still active after that, it isn't yeast that's doing it.

I wouldn't have thought it was yeast anyway, given the sugar content.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

Looking back, wine stabiliser (a mix of metabisulphite and potassium sorbate) would be a better idea that just campden tablet (sorry, had a few glasses of a friend's blackberry wine last night). As Mike says there'll be a sulphite taste for a day or two, but it soon goes.
I should have thought about pasteurisation, but so used to working with wine it didn't come up.

maisieandgrace
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for your replies. this was a river cottage recipe, but someone suggested it was too sweet and to useonly 500 grams of sugar to the litre of water. I filled the bottles with boiling water and let them sit.I obviously need to be better prepared next time .off to buy Camden and other tablets :-)