base cover for polytunnel?

The whole reason for the selfsufficientish website was to offer a place where anyone can ask, HOW DO I...? So who knows why it has taken us so long to have a HOW DO I? section, but here it is. So if you want to know how to do anything selfsufficientish then here is the place to ask.
ian.r.mcdonald
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

base cover for polytunnel?

Am going to put a polyunnel on the veg patch. Its on an old meadow and the grass is of the normal creeping (running!) type

all of the info I have seen shows a polytunnel being put onto grass with just the inner growing area cleared.

If I did this I would be mowing daily and sitting up at night as the grass invaded the tunnel- and cant see how strimming the control is not going to split the cover

advice please!

doofaloofa
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: base cover for polytunnel?

i like black plastic for clearing established growth, but it does take time (a month or two minimum)
ina wrote: die dümmsten Bauern haben die dicksten Kartoffeln

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: base cover for polytunnel?

Most of the cheaper versions of commercial polytunnels have the polythene buried all around the base to anchor it. Both mine are of this design and although it's a bit of hard work to dig a trench all the way round before fitting the cover, it stops anything creeping in from outside. The polythene cover is buried about 12 to 14 inches all round, and the only thing that has managed to get inside mine is a very determined bracken.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.